Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Charter Member
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just finished stripping down my 93 donor and want to get the chassis out to make room for my build.Heres the question:

Can I go for my ffr build inspection with DMV with a photo copy of my donor title or do I need the original title?

The problem is I cant get rid of the donor unless the title goes with it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Maybe a copy of bill of sale with numbers and description, and copy of title. hth

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
I've found 3 ways to get rid of cars without titles....actually 4.

1) advertise on craigslist for $6

2) put on an open trailer and bring it to a junkyard where the yard is somewhat removed from the office where you give them the title....or just get there early and park where they unload the car from your trailer.

3) Cut it into liftable pieces and bring the pieces to a metal scrapyard.

4) Call one of those guys on craigslist who will pick up your junk car for free.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I was at the same stage in my build, I called the local Ohio title department and was told to let the title go with the car body but to keep a copy. When I made the appointment to have the car inspected (by the highway patrol) they told me to bring all my receipts and the original donor title. When I told them what the title department had said, they said that was "their requirement" not ours! They did accept the copy of the title but it caused a lot of needless stress. I suggest you call the location where you will take the car for inspection and get their requirements.
Good luck!
PSS

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
NY may be different but when I went to the DMV I had to have the original donor title,no copy. You can make a copy to give to the scrap yard if wanting. They will need to get a sort of salvage title before they can sell parts off it at there bone yard. Scrap yards that sell used parts can't do so without some form of paper work to prove car is legit. Most times they get a slavage title if the car they take has no title, assuming car is not stolen.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Up here in Westchester we have a weekly Pennysaver publication. There's always a few guys advertising that they will take away junk cars and that no title is ok.

RR

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I am just finishing up all the phases of my registration, and the first thing the HP wanted was the title from the donor. Not a copy. I would really search for someone to take it without a title or cut it up to get rid of it that way.
JMHO

Skip

·
Senior Charter Member
6,104 Posts
Most junk yards won't let you keep the title because they need to turn them in when they sell the car.

I used a copy in NJ which was acceptable to them except the woman working in DMV thought my frame had been scrapped out. So it took some explaining to set her straight.

It would probably be helpful if you could also get a receipt from the scrap yard stating that they took the car.

·
2,860 Posts
Is the donor title in your name? That is, did you retitle the donor car in your name from the original owner? Many people don't. If you have a 'title' that is open (that's what the DMV calls it); that's considered a misdemeanor . :eek: i.e. The original owner signed the title but the new owner's name is left blank. The intent is to sign it over to the junkyard and avoid retitling the donor. I had this issue! My intent was to turn the car back to the donor and have it taken to the junkyard (actually he an I would dispose of it). While the DMV understood what I was doing...it was like taking parts off somebody elses car! In that I had a crate motor and NEW T-5; I got throught the process without a title, in fact the State Police Inspector handed it back to me saying: "I did not see this!". We left it as: "just borrowed a 'few parts' from a friend." The end result was a non-donor build. Be aware. :rolleyes:

PS: I hope the above made sense! ;)

·
Charter Member
167 Posts
I would suggest you contact the agency who issues the VIN/Title to get an opinion. In Kansas, you have to have the whole CAR - I called the Highway Patrol to see what I could get rid of, and thats what she told me - I'm really glad I called before I cut up my donor.

Tim

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
At $1.00/ 100 lbs for soft steel I made $5.00 off of mine. Cut up into pieces small enough to put in a minivan. Got a "feel good" pay back for all the scrapes and bruises. It took about a day with my sawzall amd 4-5 blades. Plastic and "other" went in the trash over the course of a few months.

In my area - the junk guys didn't want a striped car. Too much hassle from police to establish ownership.

Oh, and I still have the donor title, tucked under the title for the FFR.

·
Master Blaster
170 Posts
That's crazy!! what if it was a non donor build, you can buy engines, trannys, and all the other parts that where stripped off the donor on e-bay or a junkyard. FFR gives you the vin numbers so what do you really need the title for anyway? Seems like just another thing the "state" can tax you on!

·
566 Posts
If you need the space go ahead and scrap it. If not maybe hold out.
I was trying to drive my 94 Cobra to California CHP station to have them verify the Engine and trans numbers while they are still in the donor. They told me it was un necessary and just take pictures of the front, sides and rear of the car prior to tear down. I cant believe they did not want to verify the numbers! Who is to say the parts came from that donor? When you buy parts seperatly they want a reciept for both!
Am I missing sonething here?

Henry

·
2,860 Posts
FFR gives you the vin numbers so what do you really need the title for anyway?
The number you get from FFR is not a VIN. It is a Serial Number for the car, nothing more.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I'm sure each state is different--but when I did this part in Michigan I made copies of the title, which I HAD changed to my name and drove the donor a bit before tearing apart but when I had the carcass hauled away the title must go with it to the junk yard. They gave me a reference number, and the state supposedly checked with the junk yard to verify my info was legit. I kept a copy of the title, included that in the paperwork when I applied for the title and I wrote on that the junk yard name, number and reference number for them. No hassles at all with that part of it. My hassles came from getting the Michigan VIN number installed so I could get permanent plates but thta'ts a whole "nuther" story--- toodizzy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.