Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here, but have been lurking for a few weeks. My Roadster kit is ordered and the wait begins. I found a potential donor car locally. It is a '95 Mustang GT with a 5.0. Unfortunately it is an automatic. It starts and runs nice and is relatively inexpensive ($3K).

What particular issues will I face if I purchase an automatic car and get a T-5 elsewhere?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
What's in a name
369 Posts
For the most part, besides the t5, flywheel, bell, clutch, shifter, etc, you will need the pedal assembly, some wiring and a computer. Other than the transmission surroundings, there really isn't much of a difference in the car/engine itself

·
Registered
369 Posts
Paul,

If you buy a auto car you will have the additional expense of the T-5 and other parts. That will add to the cost of your donor parts. If you are going to run the engine and most of the parts as is then that might be fine for you, but if your going to build the engine anyway then I would look for a cheaper donor or buy a donor pallet that has all the parts on it already removed from someone like MPS who is a supporting vendor. That is where I got mine and they have been great to work with. You could also call them for the parts you need if you go ahead with the donor there locally. Just my .02 worth. Enjoy your build.

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
i had an a/t donor, and it was fine, BUT the donor was only $1,000 AND i went with a carb.

you will pay about an extra $2000+ for T5 stuff, depending on if you get a brand new tranny and/or high performance clutch, etc.

you can always sell off your a/t tranny like i did, but i would only go with an a/t donor again if it was dirt cheap like mine was.

i am sure people will chime in and say don't use a donor at all... here we go...!

·
Junior Charter Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. Well, wouldn't you know that I found an excellent 1991 Mustang 5.0L with a 5-sp for a little more money. I am going to pass on the A/T '95 and go for the '91 instead. It is nice enough that I could drive it through the summer while I wait for the kit to get here.

Thanks again everyone. This board is great and I look forward my build.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.