Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing my EFI to Carb changeover as we speak. What do I do with all these EFI wires? I need some suggestions. Should I clip and wrap or leave on and hide to make sure everything works or should I just get a new harness since my next project is pulling the dash anyway?
foot note: I just bought the car a month ago and due to weather I have about 30 minutes seat time total. Suppose to be warm in a couple weeks! What would you do?

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Do you know if it is an original (donor) 5.0 Mustang EFI harness or is it some other aftermarket EFI setup?

Either way you should be able to completely remove every scrap of the EFI harness, EFI intake, EFI distributor, etc.

Then, install your carb intake and carb and wire your new ignition system following their instructions.

Your big "IF" is the fuel system. Are you going to a mechanical pump, keeping the high pressure with the return line and using a regulator, switching to low pressure electric with/without a return line? Let us know some of these answers to go further...

HTH...
Mark

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its an 1987 donor motor with a bone stock EFI and from what I can tell a wiring doctor harness. I bought an HEI distributor with a simple Tach/Hot hookup and the usual 600 Holley and manifold. I also have a return regulator because I want to run the factory pump. Is the pump triggered off the ECM or in a seperate circut? The harness is taped all together with the alternator splicing in on the right side and the foward lamps splicing on the left. I've built several full race cars from the ground up but were all carbed and it was plug in and go. I hate to cut a wire and leave me asking "Why won't it crank"?

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ttt

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot to mention I have all Autometer gauges not the Mustang. I think I'll just clip and tape what I dont need just to add a little more off the wire diet. After I see hoe this set up works I'll probably replace the whole harness.

·
1,073 Posts
Lex,
If that harness has been dieted, I might like to buy it from you.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
If you are replaceing all the gauges plus under hood engine wireing,sounds like all can go other then the chassis wireing for the lights and such.Replaceing any or all of the dash switch's? You'll need a new fuel pump curcuit once computer is eliminated. Going to use new pump relay or try to reuse/rewire original?

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've about got it done now. Will update with before and after pics later this week if the thing runs.Lex

·
Registered
30 Posts
Lex,
Good to see a "local" on here. I can't really help you since I built mine with a Painless harness.
I hope I'll see you around when it warms up.

-Mark

·
Senior Charter Member
212 Posts
Lex,
Man, you are fast! It took me weeks to figure out the diet. Let us know the results.

John

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You did all the hard work John!!!!I get the gravy!!Lex

1 - 14 of 14 Posts