Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks-

I just ran a compression test in search of a solution to my "oil blowing out the breather" problem. Turns out the #5 hole is low. All 7 of the other cylinders were well between 155 and 165, and the #5 was a little over 135. I squirted a little oil in the cylinder and ran the test again and it came up to a little over 155 so I'm pretty sure I'm dealing with a ring issue.

I can't decide if I'm bummed, or if I'm happy to have an excuse to pull the motor :^).

Before I do that though I was wondering if anyone has any tricks to try before I start pulling components off.

I'm going to start a different thread about stroker kits in 289s.

All the best,
Chris

·
Land Shark!
4,668 Posts
C, let me know which stroker kit you decide to use. I'm looking
for a 347 kit for my 71 302 right now, most likely going to pull
the block out of the coupe in 2 weeks.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Willdo Ted. The block is very low-mileage, and is currently standard bore. If the piston wall in #5 isn't scored by a broken ring and everything else checks out ok, I may just hone it and put a 326 kit (3.250 crank with stock bore) in it. Eagle makes this one:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=ESP%2D16006&N=700+4294925232+4294919598+4294908331+4294854588+4294840126+4294806906+115&autoview=sku

That I may go with, I just have to see how the block checks out.

All the best,
Chris

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,707 Posts
You really do want an excuse for a new/rebuilt engine don't you.I'd have to have more than blowing oil out the breather and a 20# low cylinder to rebuild an engine.The blowing oil can be fixed w/ a better breather setup.OTOH, I'd like more power too!

·
Junior Charter Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Craig...you're absolutely right! The clincher for me is the leaking rear main. It's been leaking for a while and I'd like to take the vehicle to the track. So really it's the low compression, the leaking rear main and a desire for a little more power driving the pull :^).

All the best,
Chris

·
Senior Charter Member
236 Posts
nah, yank the engine! iv'e pulled engines just to touch up the paint due to boredom. brian

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Chris as you suspect nothing can be done without disassembly and repair to gain back the lost compression. As for sroking the motor I would'nt worry about taking bores out .030" if needed. Now adays with the popularity of the stroker kits for the small blocks many times it may actually cost less to buy a kit that has .030" over pistons in it as this is the most popular size and most times cheaper then finding one with standard bore pistons. Just need to find the cost in saving versus cost of boring block.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi guys -

Just a quick update, the motor is back in the car, and I ran it to break it in this afternoon. Other than a leak from a loose hose clamp at the thermostat housing, everything appears to be in order. I thought for sure that when the hollows in the top of the timing cover started to fill with coolant that the front manifold seal was leaking, but it was a simple fix.

Fired it up, adjusted the throttle to run at 2200 RPMs, oil pressure was good with 5W30, water temp came up to 200*, fans came on, settled in at 190*. Oil pressure dropped a bit once the oil temp came up, I really couldn't have asked for a better run-in.

Turns out I had to let my 289 block go...there was a small crack in the deck, and I didn't want to repair it to put the stroker kit in it. So I started with a '68 casting 302 block, .030 over and built the 331 up from there using the same edelbrock performer heads, cam, and manifold.

From pulling the engine out until today, it's been about 6 weeks (and I didn't start ordering parts until the engine came out.)

Happy so far...we'll have to see how it does on its first run outside of the garage. It'll be a week or so since the car is blocked in by a storage container for now.

·
Still broke & dreaming...
2,205 Posts
Which stroker kit did you end up using?

[ February 15, 2007, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: TBirdNutt ]

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
Originally posted by cwareham:
Hi Craig...you're absolutely right! The clincher for me is the leaking rear main. It's been leaking for a while and I'd like to take the vehicle to the track. So really it's the low compression, the leaking rear main and a desire for a little more power driving the pull :^).

All the best,
Chris
I thought you were going to build a fire breathing big block for your cobra?
;)

Bill S.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
You know, married, a couple of kids, wimpy small block..... :D

·
Junior Charter Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi TBirdNutt -

You beat me to the punch, I was just about to edit my post. I used the Eagle 332 Street/Strip rotating assembly:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=ESP%2D16006030&autoview=sku

I got a very healthy deal on it. I didn't blueprint the engine, but I checked the tolerances on the crank and the rods with plastigauge, and everything was right on. Promar engines in Paterson, NJ (www.promarengine.com) did the machine work and the balancing. Everything seems to have turned out pretty well. John at Promar does all of their performance stuff, and was super-easy to work with. He's a ford guy himself.

I'll update again once I've had a chance to get it on the road and run it a bit.

The main lesson learned here for me is that I don't think I'm going to build any more short blocks. It's a lot of fun, but even with a good deal on a fairly budget-based stroker kit I could have bought a comparable short block from a reputable engine shop for quite a bit less than the block, work, and rotating assembly cost me. Even if you want to build it yourself, get a short block and tear it apart to check tolerances and rebuild it, you're likely to save a few hundred bucks unless you're looking for something specific.

All the best!
Chris

·
Junior Charter Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL...you guys are right! Someday I'll build a big block for this car, but it wasn't to be this time around.

Other than the cost and the size of the project, the functional difference for me was the fact that the car is faster than I can "use" given my driving ability and the suspension setup. However, since I was pulling the motor apart to fix problems, I just couldn't resist adding more cubes.

I'll put a big block in it when this thing is relegated to cruising :^). As long as there are track days and autocrosses in its future, it'll stay with smallblock power.

BTW Bill...you just about ruined that showing up to breakfast with a big block car. Any discipline or sense that I harbor pretty much flies out the window at the sound of a big block car.

Later fellas!

Chris

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
Originally posted by cwareham:

BTW Bill...you just about ruined that showing up to breakfast with a big block car. Any discipline or sense that I harbor pretty much flies out the window at the sound of a big block car.

Later fellas!

Chris
Chris,

Not to worry, right now I only have a 66 289 2V sitting in the garage :confused:

Bill S.

·
Rapscallion
1,969 Posts
I hope you didn't scratch my engine hoist....

Roscoe

·
Junior Charter Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You kill me :^). Indeed I did not, it's in good shape. I need to clean it up and I'll have it back to you shortly.

·
Rapscallion
1,969 Posts
Can you wax it when you are done?

Roscoe

·
Junior Charter Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was down there with a bottle of McGuiar's this morning, but the only thing that comes out of the bottle are ice crystals.

c

1 - 18 of 18 Posts