Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Chipsdad (who provided me with a pedal bender), I was able to bend my pedals today. I will contact Doug1 and send the bender on to the next person on the list. Thanks again!!

Does this look like enough clearance? I moved the clutch and brake pedals over to the left 1" each.

And with a size 10.5 Merrell Jungle-Moc...

I painted my Russ Thomson gas pedal black to match the other pedals. I also fabricated my own gas pedal cover out of aluminum angle stock. I sanded it up to 1000 grit and then polished it with a cotton wheel and polishing compound. The picture doesn't do it justice, it is really shiny. I wanted to simulate the gas pedals I have seen in pictures of some CSX cars.

You can also see a "stop" I added to the frame where the donor gas pedal would mount. It is also made out of aluminum angle. It will get covered with carpet later.

I also made a "stop" for the clutch cable. I actually made that out of a piece of rusty steel angle iron I found in the soil in my lawn (about a foot down :eek: ). I will clean it up and paint it before I attach it for good. (I still need to have a piece welded to it so it can't turn).

-Jon A.

[ September 16, 2007, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: Jon A. ]

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
Depending on the size of feet involved, each set of pedals are bent differently. Sit in the cockpit and check them. Wait until the footbox aluminum is complete and then check again. Or cleco the side in place and try them. Pete

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I would put both shoes next to each other on the pedals. When you do a quick "both feet in", you don't want to catch the gas with the outside edge of the shoe. :(

My clutch pedal is a bit farther to the left, bent second time after a couple thousand miles. Much nicer now. The pedal bender make it easy to do in the completed car. Just not quite so pretty.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are some more pictures.

By narrowing the gas pedal pad, I gained about 1". Since I also moved the brake pedal 1" to the left, I gained a total of about 2" over "stock". In this picture, I clamped Russ's pedal pad to the pedal arm so you could see the difference.

Here is a close-up of the pedal pad. I painted part of it so that it wasn't so obvious that it is a piece of aluminum angle stock.

For heaving braking I can comfortably put my feet on the clutch and brake without coming close to the gas pedal.

For cruising, I can get my left foot past the clutch pedal but I am going to do the "bump-out" mod on the outside aluminum so that it is easier/safer to get my foot back onto the clutch pedal.

·
FFCOBRA MASTERCRAFTSMAN 5626
3,860 Posts
All that matters is that you are able to work them quickly. I bent mine a couple of times, before I felt comfortable with them.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,837 Posts
Lose the clod-hoppers. Look for shoes that are "driving shoes". Puma makes a really nice driving shoe that is narrow and has a rounded heel.

Shop online at Puma.com

Better yet, go to your local Foot Locker store and try a pair on to find your size and then go to eBay and do a search for "Puma 12" (if you wear size 12). I found a pair to match my car, grey with a silver stripe and red accents.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts