Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm back kicking this dead-horse shock/spring issue. Below are links to 3 pictures of my passenger coil-over assembly. They're big so I put in the link instead of the picture. Note that your browser may auto-shrink the pics so you will need to zoom it back to full-size, if you want the extreme close-up.

Please give me your opinion on whether you think the shock is centered in the coil-over spring. These pics were taken with the car at ride height. These are the best 3 pics of the 12 that I took.

Let's make it a poll. Please answer:
</font>
  • Centered</font>
  • Left (toward wheel)</font>
  • Right (toward engine)</font>
Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,972 Posts
Yup, it's to the left

·
ASE Tech &amp; Shop Teacher
1,936 Posts
I'd like to help, how is the spring sitting in the lower seat? How about a picture of that?
It is fairly common for a spring to bow a little when compressed. As long as it is sitting in the seats correctly, and is not rubbing the threads of the adjuster sleeve, you have nothing to worry about.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought it was to the left also but thanks for the confirmations.

It's centered on the spring hat, zip-tied, and the hat is centered on the jam nut. This is second time it was put together and I made absolutely sure I did it correctly. I checked the shock and confirmed that it wasn't bent.

It is rubbing the threads on the adjuster sleeve. It wore some good spots on my old sleeve, I got a new one, and after 150 miles, I already have some wear in two places. It's also worn the powdercoat off the inside of a couple coils on the spring. Makes a funny noise every time the spring moves and it rubs.

Sleeve after 150 miles

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts
Both sides of the car the same Wolv? Or is this just affecting one side?
Forgive me if you've already answered this in another thread but, are you sure the rear end is centered in the frame?
This would have me going back to check the rear end installation to make sure both side are exactly the same etc., and that there's nothing amiss in the frame itself.
It's like something is inducing a bending moment in that coilover rather than just tension and compression.
d

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
2,860 Posts
Wolverine, do you have the 7/16" washer in the hat section on the bottom. Is the spring hat off center (oval hole)?

"Install an extra thick grade eight 7/16” SAE washer (15/32" ID, 59/64" OD, 0.119" thickness) between the shock jam nut and spring hat in the order shown below."

http://www.factoryfive.com/table/whatsnew/tech/shocks/updatedprocedure.html

Strange...I the shock bent? Have you switched sides to see if same condition exist with other shock/spring combo? :confused:

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is only happening on the pass side. Driver side is just fine. The rear should be centered but I haven't checked it since I originally dialed it in. I have the 3-link. Could that cause a spring to compress off-center? Interesting - I never thought of that.

No washer because I have the slotted hats. The diaper pin holds the shock centered very well. I haven't remounted it on the driver side. That's a good idea but I really don't want to tear that side apart since it's working fine. :(

I'm thinking I have a bad spring. I have the 12-coils with donor LCA's. Supposedly they're okay with the donor lowers. But I think there were issues with the 12-coils. I tried to get a replacement but FFR doesn't carry them anymore - only the 10's. So I think I'm going to replace both sides with 10's.

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
153 Posts
Run a straight edge around the spring and check if it is bowed, or remove the spring and roll it across a flat surface. If it has a hump in it, change it out.
If the spring hats don't fit the spring very well it will allow it to sit over to one side. Get another spring or have a set of hats machined to fit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts