Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know why, but I thought owning one would be fun.

I'm just curious to know if anyone has a source where I can find one that hasn't been uttery thrashed.

TIA

·
Charter Member
601 Posts
Funny that you should mention these... I've been looking at them off and on for a year or so, pretty heavily recently. I've seen some pretty nice ones.

After a lot of searching, the best that I can come up with is this:

Find an 01-02. They have the better heads and some other upgrades.

For some reason, it's difficult and expensive to get hp out of these motors. They stretch to get 250 with mods, but a stock 2V mustang is getting 260. Not sure why.

The P71 is full of HD upgrades. It's more cost effective to start with a P71 in nice shape, than try to outfit a HPP or LX CV to heavy duty/sporty conditiion.

The red/silver/blue/green/brown cars tend to be in better shape, not patrol, and a lower mileage one will cost top dollar, but is probably the best choice.

A good price would be 6-8k for a 60-85k mile car.

Rims, tires, tint, stereo, center console, minor engine upgrades, including a powerdyne, and your P71 will be a nice cruiser.

All these things I mention are just generalities.

There's a forum on CV's, go here to check out everything you could possibly want to know.

Crown Vic Forum Website

I'm planning on getting/building one sometime this year, depending on time and funds.

Dave

·
Charter Member
2,132 Posts
Ford has brought back some of the benifits of the Pinto only with improvements. Not only will the gas tank rupture and the car erupt into flames with a rear impact but now the doors jam shut so that you cannot get out. There is a recall for the Police cars that is suppose to prevent this added feature from occuring. The one I drive is peppy and solid, no major problems.

·
Charter Member
601 Posts
Actually, the rear impact issues are no different than with any other vehicle.. It's just that the service the CV's get put into are more severe than regular, civilian, vehicles. Therefore there's been more severe rear impact accidents and deaths. There's a ton of research into the few rear impact fatalities, and one major find was that the rear impact, (and fire,) rate for the Ford, is actually lower than on the Caprice, now retired. Showing that the Ford is safer, it's the service it's put into.

The real issue is whether ford should be made to assess vehicle safety for P71's with 50mph rear vehicle impacts, (the CV is parked on a highway and someone comes up and hits the CV at 50 mph plus,) and is this something that should be tested for. And then, is my life worth less? Shouldn't my vehicle then be tested and proven? (A whole new FMVSS can of worms...)

There's a couple bolts that have been changed to round heads, and a couple tabs that get ground down in the TSB. Ford believes them unlikely culprits, but to make the customers happy, are recommending their changeout. Like all things, it depends who you talk to, and who you believe.

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts