Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that a wire antenna mounted behind my carbon fiber dash would not work well? Has any one already done this and what was the result or is there a better set up out there? Thanks

04' Mach1 donor, 17" Bullets, 3-link, I-squared

·
5,470 Posts
Seems to be working fine for me. I don't listen to the radio all that much, more often it's the MP3 unit I listen to, but the radio has worked just fine on the occasions I used it.

·
Charter Member
1,249 Posts
I tried it and it did not work. I installed a regular antenna behind the passenger seat last year. It pushes down far enough where you do not see it behind the seat (especially since it is black). When I need to use it I pull it up and it works great. I would never go back to anything else.

·
Delivered
2,709 Posts
I used one behind the front bumper cover on my 05 mustang and worked great, I hate ford antenna's. It was inside the foamy stuff under there so I would assume it should work ok under a dash.

·
Junior Charter Member
3,485 Posts
It depends on what you want. I used to do a lot of stereo installs in street rods, boats, etc, so I've tried just about everything here. If you live in an area with strong FM signals, then FM will be OK, but not great. In areas with weak signals, expect less. AM performance is usually pretty poor with these units - if that matters to you. A regular antenna layed horizontally under the dash or trunklind will likely work better for AM and FM, if you make sure to ground the base/mount to a frame ground. A ground "plane" like a fender top wroks better - maybe you could use some footbox metal for an antenna ground and see how that works.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,266 Posts
Another alternative - I have mine installed running front to rear on the underside of the right front fender.

Its been a while but as I recall the base is mounted somewhere on the engine side of the dash on the far side of the passenger's side so the cable would reach the tuner. The antenna then runs straight forward toward the front of the car. The tip is actually sandwiched between the bulb seal on top of the aluminum splash sheild and the under side of the fiberglass body.

I have a Pioneer head unit which is supposed to have one of the stronger tuners in terms of reception. I'd say it works just OK.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
888 Posts
I tried a conventional antenna mounted UNDER the front part of the trunk running cross-wise. Works fine on FM but totally useless for AM. Bob

·
Charter Member
1,646 Posts
If you get one that is amplified, and make sure you have a good ground you should get as good a reception as a standard antenna mounted to the fender. The reason for the ground is to create a ground plain. Antennas don't work without a ground plain, thats why the guys that have a standard antenna just stuck under the fender don't have any AM receptiom, and poor FM reception. Also expect to spend at least $45.00 and up for a good hidden antenna. Hope this helps.
Lile

·
Junior Charter Member
625 Posts
I used an amplified antenna from a local stereo shop. It is designed to mount to the windshield frame, but I mounted it under the dash. Works ok for FM, I didn't know anyone listened to AM anymore?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
No personal experience yet to verify this but I have read in previous posts that the antenna that works the best is the amplified antenna. I picked one up at the local Pep Boys. It needs to have 12v going to the antenna plus a good ground.

I plan to drive mine into work and AM is the primary way to get the traffic reports around here. I think I may be SOL. I don't even think the radio for the cobra has AM on it.

Mike M.

·
Premium Member
2,718 Posts
I use a boosted one behind my dash and it has worked well so far for FM stations locally.

-Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts