Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
ACTIVE
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of a odd question. I am buying a established Spec car that I have seen on the track up at willow before but never actually driven or seen up close.

Do the spec cars have functional doors behind the sidebars. I am sharing the car with my father and law for autocross and DE days and while I have no trouble jumping over the door he has a bad left knee and the door on my FFR was just a little to high for him to jump over when we tried.

·
Junior Charter Member
149 Posts
Spec Car

Depends on your definition of older. I had no trouble hopping into my spec car. Easier for me than a roadster with doors that open or the coupe I have now. I just put my right foot in the seat, then the left and slithered forward and down, but I'm only 73.

·
ACTIVE
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends on your definition of older. I had no trouble hopping into my spec car. Easier for me than a roadster with doors that open or the coupe I have now. I just put my right foot in the seat, then the left and slithered forward and down, but I'm only 73.
He is 62, I had him jump the door about the height of my 55 Thunderbird and he had no issue and that is way higher then a Cobra would be. Funny to see him do it though.

Detachable steering wheel is a must for him though so he can have a bit more room to get his legs in as they are a little stiff. Car is closer then we thought, might just drive up with the truck and pick it up this weekend if it passes inspection. Its Karen's old car so I know it was build well.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
At the start of the race weekend (Saturday morning) they carry me over and put me in the car and I don't get out until then end of the race weekend (Sunday night).

·
ACTIVE
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
remind me to never buy a driving suit from you.
EWW.

So came to a price driving up tomorrow to get the car. Wife is happy with it as well she will be using it now for DE as well.

Does need a paint job, I can yank the body off and do all the prep work. I can borrow a booth and paint it myself for ~1K in materials and if I am not to particular about the color, need to talk with the wife about what she wants.

Needs the belts to be updated as well. Need to order up tires as well if we can get it out on the track next month I would be happy.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
EWW.

So came to a price driving up tomorrow to get the car. Wife is happy with it as well she will be using it now for DE as well.

Does need a paint job, I can yank the body off and do all the prep work. I can borrow a booth and paint it myself for ~1K in materials and if I am not to particular about the color, need to talk with the wife about what she wants.

Needs the belts to be updated as well. Need to order up tires as well if we can get it out on the track next month I would be happy.
Has the car been updated with the new top end and suspension per the FFR rules (trickflow package, ~330rwhp) or is it still running FFRC (stock intake, heads, etc. ~ 220rwhp) ?

·
ACTIVE
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Has the car been updated with the new top end and suspension per the FFR rules (trickflow package, ~330rwhp) or is it still running FFRC (stock intake, heads, etc. ~ 220rwhp) ?
Need the top end package and a fuel tank bladder. Might just do heads and cam and call it a day.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Its Karen's old car so I know it was built well.
Agreed, but your statement doesn't really specify which car, as the ebb and flow reached close to a half dozen FFRs at once in that stable!

·
ACTIVE
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agreed, but your statement doesn't really specify which car, as the ebb and flow reached close to a half dozen FFRs at once in that stable!
It's the orange with the white stripe #16 spec car.

Got it back to the house but 150 miles in a race kirkey without a bottom seat pad almost broke me. The base power is really nice will make for a seriously fun little track car. It should have 1/10th the running cost of my ACR viper. On the Nitto's that the car has now it is really well balanced not really sure how long I will get in terms of track time on a set but it has to be better then two sets a weekend for DE.

Need to find some street-pads for the front because if I had to guess a pagid's and I swear they are just a block of steel and they squeal like crazy. Can swap them back to whats on the car for the track days.

·
2,930 Posts
That car was First built by Gary Cheney in Mass.
When Karen obtained it, Her late husband and Andy and I went through it.
We spent a few days prepping it for street duty for her daughter to drive.
As far as I know it was a pretty reliable car.
I though it just sold a couple months ago, did the new owner not like it?

·
ACTIVE
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That car was First built by Gary Cheney in Mass.
When Karen obtained it, Her late husband and Andy and I went through it.
We spent a few days prepping it for street duty for her daughter to drive.
As far as I know it was a pretty reliable car.
I though it just sold a couple months ago, did the new owner not like it?
He has a few cobras and needed the space more then then car. I think he was expecting a less aggressive car. I also have a feeling he needed the money for a investment as well.

As for the car I love it, not to overdone in ascetics, could car less what happens to the paint at the track and I love the cage and the high seats because I have never felt really safe in my last one with the low seats. CAn leave it on the street whats the worst that can happen.

This needs to be gone though a bit, there are some loose panels and more then a few leaks which is to be expected with the age and the mileage. Need to get the speedo to work as well as the fuel gauge. Plus pad the seat that is a given.

·
Registered
353 Posts
It's the orange with the white stripe #16 spec car.

Got it back to the house but 150 miles in a race kirkey without a bottom seat pad almost broke me.
One of those squishy gardener's kneeling pads is just about the right size to slip under the cover in the bottom of a Kirky. Complaints from the passenger side have moved on from seat hardness to road grit and sunburn since the $9 "upgrade".

The challenge cars are shipped with significantly harder springs than the street cars. So depending on your application, adjustment even harder (autocross) or softer (daily driver) may be in order. Springs are cheap. You deserve to love your car.

·
ACTIVE
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One of those squishy gardener's kneeling pads is just about the right size to slip under the cover in the bottom of a Kirky. Complaints from the passenger side have moved on from seat hardness to road grit and sunburn since the $9 "upgrade".

The challenge cars are shipped with significantly harder springs than the street cars. So depending on your application, adjustment even harder (autocross) or softer (daily driver) may be in order. Springs are cheap. You deserve to love your car.

Springs are on the list, need to get the car corner weighed first so I can decide what I want to order. The car is stiff as a board right now. Got new tires that are not semi slicks ordered as well, going to try and track down another set of SVT Cobra wheels so I can keep the slicks mounted up for track weekends. Might do the same with the shocks so I don't have to swap the spring sets out but I doubt that they are under tension off the car due to the length of the springs.

I got some blue memory foam at the upholstery store today and reshaped the seats. Much much better now. Got most of the major rattles tracked down, got the race brake pads out and OEM pads back in. You could hear the brakes over the sidepipes from 100 years out. Figured out why the speedo was not working that's going to take some effort to run a new cable, need parts so that's next weekend. .

Gas gauge is stuck way way past full. Gauge is clean I think the sender is shot or stuck.

·
Not a waxer
11,917 Posts
Gas gauge is stuck way way past full. Gauge is clean I think the sender is shot or stuck.
Pegged past full indicates an open. Check wire continuity from the sender to the gauge.

Jeff

·
ACTIVE
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pegged past full indicates an open. Check wire continuity from the sender to the gauge.

Jeff
I did and so far they all pass. Wonder if its the wrong sender for the race tank or it got jammed up somehow. Might be grounded out somewhere close as well.

Will double check this afternoon. Might just run new wiring altogether and see what happens. Thanks for the tip. IF that works then I don;t have to deal with the tank provider which is great.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts