Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I heard on the radio this morning that telemarketers will have access to cell phone numbers. You have until December 15 to get on
the "do not call" list. It is good for 5 years. I missed the phone number to call, but the web site to register your phone numbers for the "do not call" list is: www.donotcall.gov. I registered this morning and you can register up to 3
numbers at a time. It requires an email address to complete the registration. After you submit the phone numbers, the instructions tell you that you will receive 2 emails from [email protected] which must be opened and clicked on within 72 hours in order to complete the registration process.
I noticed them in my inbox. Opening the emails and clicking on the link completes the registration process and instructs you to print off the registration information for each phone number you submitted. I did my regular home phone as well as my cell phone.

Stan

·
6,654 Posts
Thanks.. Just did it too.

It's a .gov site so it's on the 'up and up'...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Diane and I did our cells with the house. In Oct.Diane got a check for $300 in the mail from the AG of Ohio the letter said it was because we were called over 50 times by Sheltergaurd. She filed a complaint on do not call list web site and 3 mounth later the check.
Gregg

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Howdy Stan,

Thanks for the link! Does this work for bill collectors too?

We just got from shooping and my wife checked caller ID for any missed calls. I asked if anybody called. She said "No, bill collectors aren't open on Saturdays.".

Paul

·
FFCobra Captain
11,688 Posts
I thought it was against the law for telmarketers to call you on your cellphone...reason being that you're paying for cellphone calls by the minute (unlike your home phone) so by them calling you, they were also costing you money.

I think the same rule is supposed to apply to fax solicitations. You're paying for the paper, so they're not supposed to be allowed to fax broadcast anymore.

I work in the Direct Marketing industry and don't know of any data compilers that have lists with cellphone numbers that they sell. Only the cellphone providers have the numbers.

·
Senior Charter Member
721 Posts
It is an internet hoax. Yes, there will be a directory of cell phone numbers available BUT you won't be listed unless you opt-in. The site is legit, though, and I have used it since inception. Works like a charm!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Partly true, partly bogus, according to Snopes. There IS a plan to have a 411 for cell phones, but not to have a printed directory or open it up to telemarketers, if you believe the company doing it. Heres the link: http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

BTW, there is no cut off date on the do-not-call list - you can register any time. I've been registered since it was first implemented, and it's made a HUGE difference in the number of bs calls we get.

All the best,
Tag

1 - 9 of 9 Posts