Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a MSD 6AL a few months back thinking I would need it but after watching the video that was sent to me of my engine running on a test stand it doesn't look as if it is needed. They show just hooking up lead to the coil from the ignition switch. I feel pretty dumb asking this but do I not need it? If not, how come?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
well does the disributor have points and condensor, or is it an electronic ignition distributor. If it has points then no, but I would bet that it is electronic which means yes you do need it.

·
6,559 Posts
Not all electronic ignitions need an MSD box(thank god) My guess is that they used a Durispark ignition dizzy. If so, no you don't need one but a quick call to Chris at EF will tell you. If you REALLY want to run a MSD box and you need a new dizzy, drop me a line. I have two almost new with the right gear for a roller cam for 351W.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
One thing the MSD box will allow for is a Rev limiter which in most cases is a great safety device. My EF engine came with the billet Accel unit that does not need an ignition box. Basically when you add the MSD you take the brain out of the Accel unit and work off the MSD. wiring instructions were ok to follow with the MSD box but make sure you take notes as you start changing wires around and soon you will forget what you started with...

·
5,470 Posts
My engine factory 351W does not need MSD, it has a Mallory distributor with electronic ignition. There is no rev limiter, which is a shame. The max rpm for this engine is around 6k, but with the gears a lof the us run in these cars, it's very easy to hit 6k in first and second. If the MSD wasn't so bulky, expensive, and visible, I would add it.

The Engine Factory also has their own forum here where you can get answers direction from them.

·
Charter Member
3,060 Posts
I have a EF 351W stroker that is running an MSD distributor and box with limiter chip. It's a good thing. The MSD is mounted between the firewall and dash - out of site (and heat from the engine).

I wouldn't run it without a limiter - it's way way to easy to over rev it. Changing blown head gaskets or heads should be incentive enough - let alone a destroyed lower end or valve train.

I mean - how much did you pay for the EF? Why risk it; especially since you already have the MSD in hand.

It's a no brainer.

My 2 cents.

320 Posts
Micheal, the MSD will be a nice edition to your ignition. It will give you crisper throttle responce and quicker starts, it will deliver mutipul spark pulses up to 3000 RPM and provide a rev limiter. For a couple hun why not?
Your coil can be triggered from most distributors, but the MSD is a big plus.
Just my .02
Rick

·
Premium Member
6,142 Posts
You don't need it, but if you use it be careful with it.

They like good grounds.
They HATE welding. Take off car and hide it, or it will short within sight of a welder.

Find out what distributor they used on your motor, and the curve springs etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts