Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
TC COBRA
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up my new crate motor per the Ford FRPP instructions and the section about the dizzy has me spooked...

Page 6 and 7 of 13...

http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-6007-X302.pdf

I've measured my distributor a dozen times and I'm coming about 1/16" short of 4" and confused about the .024 to .035" end play. The instructions in my distributor just say stab it and time it, no mention of length or end play?? I can remove the gear from the distributor easily with out pressing it out per the instructions so not sure about the end play if the gear falls off the distributor; do I have to drill for the roll-pin; (again no mention of this in the distributor instructions). Ford techline said not to use the distributor unless it is the exact length and end play as indicated in the instructions. I've done a search on this topic and found nothing. I'm confused, should I take this distributor to shop, do I need a new distributor, which one? Anyone else experience this? Good advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Tom

·
Junior Charter Member
2,071 Posts
Roll Pin?

Tom:

Is there a roll pin in the gear now? All you are looking for is to not have the gear pushing too hard against the bearing surface in the block or being pinched between the bottom of the distributor housing and the bearing surface. That's why the .005 free play in the shaft is needed when the distributor is firmly seated on the block. When the engine is running the gear is pressed down on the bearing surface by the interaction with the gear on the cam.

Ron

·
Charter Member
3,740 Posts
I've measured my distributor a dozen times and I'm coming about 1/16" short of 4" and confused about the .024 to .035" end play.
The .024 to .035" end play is the play in the distributor shaft (pushing the shaft in and pulling the shaft out). .011 is not much play.

With the shaft pulled outwards you want the measurement to be between 4.031" min to 4.038" max. (around 4")

If your distributor doesn't meet the specs, it needs work.

The instructions in my distributor just say stab it and time it, no mention of length or end play??
Your choice on that. But if it damages the cam gear or distributor gear or both, its on you.

I can remove the gear from the distributor easily with out pressing it out per the instructions so not sure about the end play if the gear falls off the distributor; do I have to drill for the roll-pin; (again no mention of this in the distributor instructions).
The gear should not come off that easy. The roll pin may have lost it tension, or the distributor gear/shaft roll pin hole is worn.

Ford techline said not to use the distributor unless it is the exact length and end play as indicated in the instructions.
Your choice to use the distributor you have now as is. But if it damages the cam gear or distributor gear or both, its on you.

I've done a search on this topic and found nothing. I'm confused, should I take this distributor to shop, do I need a new distributor, which one?
Unless you have the equipment to do this you will need to take it to a professional.

·
TC COBRA
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are some photos -

b393f530.jpg picture by tom4139 - Photobucket

Photo 5 of 5 shows 2 roll pins.

Photo 4 of 5 and 3 of 5 show the gear separated from the distributor shaft. You can see that there are 2 roll-pins, neither of which attaches the gear to the shaft. The shaft engages the gear in a slip joint (I guess it's called?)

What I don't understand is how to get the distributor gear locked into the correct position between 4.031 and 4.38" in order to meet these specs - currently no roll pin to between the sections? Do I need to have it drilled and roll-pinned between the joined sections? Is this distributor configuration normal?

I understand that an out of spec distributor will cause damage and this will be on me, which is why I'm concerned and posting this thread. I also understand the specs and the relationship between the seating surface and the gear engagement and the pressure that this places on the gear teeth - I've read several threads on this as well as gear material and I get it. I have a steel E303 cam and a steel gear material both confirmed correct with ford tech and the distributor manufacturer.

·
Charter Member
3,740 Posts
TAnderson,

From what I can figure out from your pictures, the upper part of distributor is a standard unit (fits many vehicles),
but the gear/shaft is interchangable so it can be taylored to fit a specific vehicles.

Does that roll pin above the gear go all the way though?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.