Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide between Pertronix D131710....Mallory 3755401.....And what I currently have....the old Duraspark II.

As many of you know I am changing out my cam. Which led me to a new polymer dist. gear. I don't want to get the gear installed and then have a problem with the dizzy.

I don't PLAN on racing or running the engine over about 5500rpm. If the stock duraspark is fine then that is what I will stick with. I just DO NOT want ANY problems after paint!!!!!!

Plug wires are male with only 200m. TRYING NOT to break the bank!!!!!!!

TIA
Bart

·
Premium Member
6,142 Posts
Ive trusted the Duraspark for years. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. It is a little harder to set the curve and mech advance. But I swear by them. I don't think the MSD pickup is any better than the Ford one. So it pretty much comes down to looks.

Unless I was racing full time, Duraspark is fine.

·
2010 FFCars Graduate
3,032 Posts
I have the Duraspark for an 85 GT in mine.
MSD 6AL box.
Put an adjustable vacuum advance on it. Made by Crane, got it from Summit.
Over 8000 miles, no problems.

·
Premium Member
5,210 Posts
Rebuilt Duraspark out of an 89.5, MSD 6AL, 45K miles, 6+ years. No problems.

Mike

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I use a Duraspark Distributor also. I trigger mine with a GM hei 4 prong module $30. It works great no ballast resistor required and the spark is real hot when used with a TFI coil. It's hotter than when I was all Duraspark with the TFI coil. Then engine starts effortlessly and revs cleanly to 6500 RPM. The wiring is simpler than using a Duraspark module you just don't get the ignition retard on start-up. Which I don't need. The Duraspark distributor comes with an adjustable vacuum advance already no need to upgrade.

http://bzerob1.com/tech2/gmhei.html

http://www.bronco.com/cms/node/25

·
Junior Charter Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Micheal,
Why didn't you tell me this when you were helping me with my first start??????? :eek: ;)

Earl, supposed to be the latest and greatest.

Thanks everyone for the reassurance.

Bart

·
2010 FFCars Graduate
3,032 Posts
Originally posted by Michael S.:
The Duraspark distributor comes with an adjustable vacuum advance already no need to upgrade.
Mine was a Ford rebuilt and everything I had read said it should have been. I tried poking every allen wrench and small screwdriver I had into it to try and adjust it. Finally gave up.
I oughta cut the stupid thing open, I still have it.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Bart, Sorry I get confused easily..I am a die-hard Duraspark fan for all but boosted engines. I found the HEI conversion a month or so ago and I really like it. Had I had experience with it prior, I would of used it from the start. That being said, a 100% Duraspark system will run for a long time. It is virtually maintenance free and will light off a spark on all normally aspirated engines street or strip to 6500RPM also. If you go blower or turbo get an MSD....

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Speed: Try a 1/8"or a 3/32" allen key. The one I have is 1/8", but I've heard some are 3/32".

·
Junior Charter Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Micheal, I assume it will work well with an Excell coil also.

No controll module,no resistor,no little box with the tabs. None of that stuff huh?

Where did you hide yours?
Can you just run a ground wire to the back and hide it in e piece of 1" wire loom? Or does it need to be mounted to something fairly heavy for a heat sink?

Thanks again
Bart

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
It needs to be mounted to heat-sink. It draws a lot of current. I put mine in a hollowed out Duraspark module housing and mounted it to the front elephant ear next to the "F" panel. I'll go to the garage and take a pic. Give me 15min for the upload etc. Stay tuned.

·
12,662 Posts
PLEASE, for your own benefit.... make sure there is a rev limiter in the mix some place...

these 5.0 HO engines will float the valve system a .9X.... X being the RPM i reved at my first drags... :( :( New cam, and roller lifters required.... and the $400 to buy them.

NEW GEAR???????? >>>> Maybe it will solve all gear related problems..

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I can't find my camera!!!
So here are some more articles. This is so straight forward it's crazy simple.
It took me longer to mine out the now unused wires than it did to wire it up.
There is one thing I did different.
I wired the GM Hei module via a 12V relay. Big 10guage wire (straight from battery) or starter lug in my situation to relay lug(30) . I used the old wire from ignition switch as the control lead lug (85). Grounded relay to mounting screw lug (86). Power out to HEI module B+ lug (87)and the other relay power out lug(87) to coil+. I used a Bosch 12v light relay with 2 (87) lugs power out not an 87 and 87a this will not work in this situation.
Edit to add pic from junkyardgenius.

This the basic before I added the 12V relay in the ign switch lead.

More links
http://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/195990-duraspark-hei-hybrid.html

http://www.carbdford.com/tech/HEI/hei.htm

[ October 07, 2007, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: Michael S. ]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts