Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd share my experience with painting sidepipes. My coupe and roadster both sport black pipes and I know many others do too, Ive used bbq paint, and VHT paints and neither looked very good in a short while. When I did my roadster rehab I had the new Gas n pipes ceramic coated that cost big money! I wanted to make my coupe pipes just as nice but no one here does ceramic coatings and I wasn't going to ship them off. A local powdercoater suggested Cerakote I've never heard of it, apparently its very popular with gun builders. I ordered some and gave it a try, $70 for a pint plus shipping , not cheap but waaay less than having coating done. It is awesome! Prep is the key and you need to sandblast the part before coating but its air dry and easy to spray with a compressor and detail
gun. I ran the car at the autocross a few weeks ago and they look as good as when i first painted them.
many colors are available the c series is the air dry product. hope this helps some of you builders.

·
Charter Member
1,089 Posts
That's the same color mine were done in. I had them done locally, but yours look great. As you said, prep is the all important step to a quality result.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,490 Posts
Doesn't cerakote need to be baked in an oven?

·
Junior Charter Member
221 Posts
Cerakote used to be BAKE only so make sure you get the correct product if you go this route. Duracoat is another NO Bake product that I have been using for years on firearm projects. Both are tough as nails. Both must be blasted off as no chemical I have found will harm either product once cured. Prep is everything. Not sure of the ability of either product to withstand prolonged exhaust temperatures.

Krusty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts