Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Engine basics 101 -
I have a 5.0 HO & I think the distributor is in wrong. AT TDC which I believe is 0 on the mark should the rotor be at the #1 cylinder wire?

Thanks

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,598 Posts
The 0° on the damper pulley is also for 180° out. This means it will be on cylinder #6. If you have the distributor in and on TDC and #6 is acutally on the firing order stroke but you have the rotor pointed to the #1 wire, you are 180° off and need to turn the engine over one more revolution and set the distributor back in toward #1. Firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK this may sound stupid on my part - but how can you tell if you are on TDC?

Should I turn the dist around to take a shot the other way??

Engine wont start , but its getting fuel & spark. i think its the timing

·
FFCobra Fanatic
933 Posts
using a little caution, take the spark plug out of the front cylinder on the passenger side. Insert a small screwdriver in the hole and turn the engine over manualy and you will feel the piston come all the way up and before it starts going down- that is top dead center. See how that correspondes to tdc on the timing pointer, it could be off. Remove the distibutor and point the rotor at the number one electrode on the top and re-install the distibutor. That should be real close to tdc. Hope this helps.

chris.

·
Charter Member
85 Posts
To make sure you are TDC AND you are not out of phase, take the #1 spark plug out and use your air compressor and rubber sealed air blower to blow into the spark plug hole. If it's air tight, you are TDC and in phase. If it's not air tight, you are 180 degrees out of phase, assuming you don't have a valve leakage problem. Another way to do it is just remove the valve cover and make sure the valves in the #1 cylinder are fully seated when you are TDC on the damper.

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
You guys are making this too complicated! ;)

Remove the #1 plug.
Put your finger over the hole.
Turn the engine over w/ a breaker bar on the harmonic damper bolt.
When air starts escaping under your finger, you're on the compression stroke.
Continue to rotate until your timing marks line up at 0°.

There, now you're at TDC on the compression stroke of the #1 cylinder! :D

·
Senior Charter Member
490 Posts
Wade,

That is way to easy!! Pull the front timing chain cover off of the engine and line up the marks on the cam gear and crank gear. :D :D Now, you are at top dead center. Happy motoring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts