Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Temporarily" dropped my dist. in to determine fuel line length for Chris' Mass-Flo. I noticed that the dist. wouldn't completely seat on the block. Looked down the hole and noticed that the oil pump drive shaft is cocked to one side. I can move it freely in the hole with a long screwdriver. I am guessing that is why the dist won't seat all the way.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Mark

By the way, assembling aeroquip lines has not been the most pleasent part of this build, but they sure do look nice :D . I just hope they don't leak...

·
The Never-Ending Builder
5,329 Posts
Mark,

All it takes to seat the distributor, is to turn the crank shaft a little, with the distributor installed. The cam gear will turn the distributor gear, and when the hex shaft lines up with the distributor female hex, the distributor will drop down while centering the shaft at the same time, no problem. The distributor will not fully drop down unless the hex from the pump will mate with the distributor.

Hank

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
Or, just turn the distributor shaft by rotating the rotor on top of the distributor. It should fall right in. I did this two nights ago on my car after reinstalling the distributor.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I had the same problem and the shaft had come out of the oil pump.
Had to drop pan and reinsert shaft. There is a collar to keep this from happening but mine must be adjusted wrong. Hope this not your pronlem.

jack

·
Senior Charter Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Jack, I double and triple checked the collar adjustment before I buttoned things up so I'm hoping it's not that.

Mark

·
8,155 Posts
I just changed out my distributor last weekend and had the oil pump drive shaft pop out of the pump. The new distributor would not seat all the way just as you describe. I was able to use a 1/4" drive, 1/4" AF socket on the end of a long extension to finagle the shaft back into the oil pump. Once it dropped into place the distributor went in with no problem at all. My bet is that's your problem. You should be able to fix it without pulling the pan. By the way wrap tape around the socket and extension so that they cannot come apart. Dropping a socket into the oil pan does not make for a good day.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,078 Posts
Mark,
I had trouble seating my distributor as well. It just wouldn't go in that last bit. In my case, the rubber o-ring was getting held up. I just threw a little oil on it and gave it a little push and it seated just fine. Just a thought. Take care,
Doug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts