Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
ff cobra master craftsman
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's amazing that i can not find any videos or pictures of what people use to remove and install distributor gears, what are people using?.

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
I used my bench vice. Knocked the pin out with a drift, pressed the gear off by closing the vice, and pressed the new one on in the same manner. Worked fine.

·
Registered
702 Posts

·
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have used the texthon on my tfi distributor, but this is for my ford fe will it work on that style?

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have used it on many ford distributors over the years and can not recall it never working.

i have used the texthon on my tfi distributor, but this is for my ford fe will it work on that style?

·
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lew how does that tool actually press the gear back on?

·
Registered
702 Posts
The piece on the bottom of the pic is a 2 inch long cylinder that will go over the distributor shaft to allow the gear to be pressed on.
lew how does that tool actually press the gear back on?

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts
Knocked the pin out with a drift and slid the gear off without much issue. The new one was tighter so I made sure there were no burrs on the shaft and the gear then heated the gear up with my heat gun and soaked the shaft in ice water for 10 minutes. They slid together with a little coaxing.

·
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
darren, i had a mallory distributor when i took the roll pin out the gear came off easy, this particular msd distributor is not lie that at all i used a 2 jaw puller and it was tough this is a brand new distributor, even my tfi dis in my 342 was easier.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
OE Fords are a tight press fit, like a crank damper. Some of the aftermarket units use the roll pin to completely hold the gear. Not my favorite idea. I recently drove a pin out of an aftermarket unit and while walking over to the press, let go of the distributor (still holding the gear) to put it in the press and the distributor crashed to the floor, breaking the cap.

Generally I press the gear off in a press and then use a socket and plastic dead blow hammer to drive it back on to the right depth.

HTH...
Mark

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts
darren, i had a mallory distributor when i took the roll pin out the gear came off easy, this particular msd distributor is not lie that at all i used a 2 jaw puller and it was tough this is a brand new distributor, even my tfi dis in my 342 was easier.

Yeouch, I thought the Mallory would have been the same way and was very surprised it came off so easy.

·
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well this has not been my week,after waiting 3 weeks for my steel distributor gear, i ended up damageing the shaft so i sent the distributor off to msd for repair. in this day and age i dont know why a manafacturer would sell you a product then make you buy another gear then reccomend you sent it to them to switch it out, why cant they offer the product with the gear you need?.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this post was written in 2012, but here's your answer anyways.
The distributor gear is made for a general application. You must match the distributor gear with your cam. The cam manufacturer provides recommendations for what type of gear (metal type) that is needed for that particular cam.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,878 Posts
Do us all a favor and don't bring 4 1/2 yr old threads back to life. Not useful.

·
Official OLD GUY
3,793 Posts
Not always

Not entirely true . . . had a new builder just last month PM me about the dizzy gear because he's having TFI/PIP issues and needs to change it out. That involves removing the distributor gear (for the PIP).

I know this doesn't effect all users but every-once-in-a-while, someone asks.

FWIW, I have always just used my bench vise for removal and the appropriate sized socket with a dead-blow hammer for re-installation.
I'm an old guy with Old School techniques.

But that being said: I'm also sure there is numerous posts that can be searched for in the archives . . .

Doc :beerchug:

Reactions: Gearheadz
1 - 17 of 17 Posts