Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am cobbling together a newer 302 with older parts.

To be specific I am piecing together to place an order for a 94-96 302 long block with E7 heads and the explorer roller cam. How ever I will be using a old '82 Duraspark II dist.

I know I need to run a steel distributor gear to be compatible with the roller cam.

Now I did some looking and on summit they list way to many different size distributor shafts. I looked on jegs and they showed a 0.467", 0.468", and 0.531". Now I haven't pulled the dist from the old engine that I will be using parts from just yet, as I want to drive the vehicle to where I will be pulling the engine before the swap.

Does anyone here know what size shaft it should be?

What about fitment? Anyone knows which dist gear will fit? I saw some claim that the distributor gear is a press fit with the roll pin not holding anything really. But I know the roll pin is supposed to be a shear pin and I thought it was just a slip fit. I wouldn't know never pulled a gear off before.

Just looking for some help on picking the right dist gear that will fit.

·
Premium Member
5,775 Posts
Hi Rusty,

I'm no expert but I've played around with different distributor gear options on my (351W based) engine before. I think reference to a .531" shaft diameter is 351W, not 302. They are both small block Ford's but the 351W uses a larger oil pump driveshaft and so the distributor shaft is larger to accomodate it. The numbers under .500" are meant for a 302 (or 5.0l) engine. Every manufacturer seems to advertise a slightly different distributor shaft measurement. Sometimes because they are actually designed as a slip-fit distributor gear (Mallory often used this method) while others remain interference-fit like the OEM Ford. Speaking of OEM, that's what I would recommend. The best method to be sure you have components that work together is to stick to pieces designed to work together. I don't know enough about the Duraspark II distributor to say if it was ever used with a roller cam or not but I know Ford never altered the diameter of its 302 (or 5.0l )distributor shaft, only aftermarket sources changed the distributor shaft diameter. Use your Ford distributor, your Ford roller cam and a Ford steel distributor gear (ask for one to fit a 95 Mustang, ignore aftermarket brands) and you are golden.

Sean

1 - 2 of 2 Posts