Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an MSD Billet Distributor on Ebay. It's a model #8582. There was no gear specified in the description. A magnet sticks to the gear (and to the shaft)

Do you think I have the right gear?

Thanks,
Michael~

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Michael,
The MSD 8582 has a cast gear on it. It is NOT for a roller cam!!! I change them all of the time to a billet gear.
Mike

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Michael,
I stock plenty of them.
Mike

·
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike,

Does it just involve driving out the old drift pin and pressing the new one through the new gear??? or is drilling/indexing, etc. involved?

What do the gears cost? I could not find them on your site. I'm guessing you don't normally sell them alone.

Michael~

·
Charter Member
1,103 Posts
MSD has instructions on how to perform the swap. The gear can be had through various sources depending on how rushed you are. This is a common issue since we often change engines from EFI to carb, or convert nonroller to roller.
Robert

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I just did this a few weeks ago. The gear you can get from Mike forte or anyone that sells MSD parts. You have to match the gear to the type of the gear on your cam. Ie: steel or bronze. I took the new gear and Distributor to my local machine shop and it was only $15 to have them change it out and too them only a few minutes. Yes the pin has to be pressed in. You do not want to be banging on the shaft with a hammer. If you have a fax machine, I can fax you the instuctions that cam with my distibutor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts