Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Charter Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased an elongated Cobra air cleaner. When I tried to put it one, it rests on top of the distributer cap. It sits to high to close the hood. Does anyone know of a low profile distributer/cap that will allow me the clearance I need. Manufacturer and part No. would be appreciated. The power in my FFR Roadster is a 1987 Ford Mustang 302. I have an aluminum intake on it. Thanks for any help. Bruce

·
Premium Member
7,017 Posts
I'm not sure you can buy just a "low profile" distributor cap to solve your problem. There are, however, distributors that sit low enough to allow the Cobra oval air cleaner to fit.

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
Yes, unfortunately, I think you will have to change the entire distributor. If it hits the hood now, take the distributor cap off and see if it still hits the hood when it is positioned properly. If so, you may want to simply replace the air cleaner with the round Cobra air cleaner.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I am not sure on exactly what to buy, but I understand that the smaller caps w/out the adapter will work. The plug wires will have to be changed because the smaller cap has female connectors. My air cleaner will by here Monday or Tuesday, hopefully mine will fit just fine. Richard

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I'd suggest a carb spacer to fix your problem. I ran a 1/2" open carb spacer under mine for clearance with a Cobra oval air cleaner on a 302. You may need to trim the bottom of the lip of your hood opening at the back ( firewall ).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts