Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the title says. After running the car (stock 88 5.0 EFI) for a short period of time I pull the oil dipstick the side that faces up when installed looks dirty/milky. The side that faces down is completely clean oil. What would cause this? Do I have a coolant leak dripping on the top of the stick causing only the top to be milky?

·
1,595 Posts
Really cold weather and a short run will cause condensation and it will show up as you see. If you drive it for a long run that should be gone.

Bill G

·
613 Posts
Also verify the PCV system is working properly. mike

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Once your engine reaches opperating temp. this moisture is evaporated. To be on the safe side check your oil level before and after a run, any significant rise on the dip stick could be an indication of a coolant leak. If you think you have a leak drain your oil, it this gray (for our British friends grey), milky substance shows up in your oil pan then you have a coolant leak. VERY BAD FOR all bearings, cracked block or head, bad gasket etc. Hope you don't have a major problem.
CB

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Engine not getting hot enough to evaporate the moisture inside the engine. Things like running the engine only long enough to get up to water temp then shutting off and letting it sit in the cold will cause this. The milky oil your seeing is in the dipstick tube not the actual oil itself being milky. May be awile till it goes away unless you clean out the dip stick tube.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of your replies. The general consensus seems to be condensation, which is a whole lot better than the alternative. I will try to get it out for an extended run and see what happens, but in these Cleveland winters, that may not be until spring :( I have to get inspected and titled first anyways and from what I hear that can take a while in Ohio.

·
5,042 Posts
Most engines will reach proper temperature if you just let them idle long enough. If your fan is NOT automatic, keep it off for the first 10 minutes and watch your oil and water temp guages. Then use as needed to prevent boiling over. Water should come up to temp fast but oil will stay low. Wait until oil is about the same temp as water after all is warm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.