Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about changing from dino oil to synthetic motor oil. My motor has 130,000 miles on it and runs great, I need to make is last. Any and all feed back welcome

Thanks Fish

·
Tropically Twisted
1,727 Posts
one word.

Amsoil. Prices are comparable with any other synthetic out there, and the oil is top notch. I won't use anything else.

·
7,237 Posts
be prepared for leaks when putting synthetic in a high mileage engine that's always run on dino oil. The synthetic will dissolve all the years of built up waxes & sludge at the seals, and you mysteriously end up w/ new oil leaks!

·
Senior Charter Member
254 Posts
I'll second the Amsoil thing. I have used it for several years now both in my truck and in my motorcycle. I wouldn't use anything else either

·
Former Roadster Owner
1,861 Posts
I'd stick with conventional oil. I'm guessing you have a stock 5.0 engine that you've coverted to a carb'd set up. 130K on a roller 302 is barely broken-in. The synthetic oil will likely cause a leak. Conventional oil has come a long way in the last 10-15 years, its better than many people realize.

There is nothing wrong with going to a syntheic at 130K miles except the fact that it may find an escape route onto your garage floor.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Stay conventional. Our company runs trucks. Last year we bought a sprinter van that calls for synthetic oil ($50 an oil change) After sending the oil out to be tested at 10,000 miles the aluminum and metals content showed the oil needed changing. After runing the vehicle for 30,000 miles and testing the oil after each 10,000 miles we switched to our conventional oil ($10 an oil change). Same readings after 10,000 miles. Why pay $40 more an oil change! Oh the van has 430,000 miles on it and going strong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts