Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The differential was damaged (sheared off axel and bent) in the 1999 Mustang GT donor I bought so I have to replace it. I would like to get the same differential configuration that was in the mustang originally. Along those lines I have some questions I was hoping you all could help me with.

1. What information does the wrecking yard need to find a replacement?
2. How do I get that information from the old differential.
3. How can I make sure the one I get is the correct one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
15,282 Posts
Do some research on the widths of the various year-model rear-ends. Depending, you may just want to swap/replace the whole thing. I have a 2000, and no one can find a wheel that will fit without some major axle changes. I am about to give up and just buy an old Fox rear-end instead.

Cheers, John

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
If the rear end hasn't been taken apart, there should be a sheet metal tag held on with one of the cover bolts. All the info you need should be on that tag.

Any Ford dealer should be able to tell you what the codes mean.

Charlie

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
Your post shows that your donor is a 1999 GT. Somebody else may have better information, but I think 1999 - 2002 Mustang GT's all used the same rear end. 1998 and prior year's are different.

·
1,123 Posts
I have a 8.8" 1987 8.8 traction lock differential with drum brakes available with 3.08 gears. As have the 5 lug axles and sn95 caliper plates. rearend looks great on te inside. Email me i interested.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.