Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to look at an 88GT donor and I was wondering how you can tell if the car is mass air or speed density? The owner says it is a CA car, so I would assume it is mass air, but is there a visual difference?

Craig

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
If it's a mass air car, the easiest thing is to look for the mass air meter. It should be between the throttle body and air filter. If it's not there, it's speed-density.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Wade is right - if it really is a CA car, you'll see the meter in the intake tube assembly. Otherwise if it's speed density, you'll just have accordian tubing from the throttle body to the airbox, and that's it.

·
Junior Charter Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys. I looked at some engine pics on ebay and it's a pretty clear distinction.

Wurf - I believe 88 mustangs originally sold in CA also had Mass Air all other cars went to MA in 89.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Other than the Mass Air Flow meter in the intake tract another thing you can check to verify it is indeed a 88" Califonia car (yes the 88" Ca. cars were MAF)and not a conversion is to check for the three LARGE numbers on the computer...88' MAF cars had 8LD computers,which is in the same family as the A9L.

[ October 29, 2002, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: Smitty ]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts