Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Curious George
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my quote for in the Sacramento area (Folsom) and Stewart is quoting $2,100

seems high compared to others that I've talked to - is this about right? or am I getting highballed? :surprise:

Thx

·
Not a waxer
11,558 Posts
Wareham to Sacramento is 3000 miles. Last year I had a Coupe delivered to Indiana—-just under 1,000 miles—-for $1,500. 14 years ago I had one delivered and it was $1,100. Ten years ago another one was $1,200. I recently had a complete car sent here for paint from Colorado; $1,300. You can do the math.

Jeff

·
Curious George
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wareham to Sacramento is 3000 miles. Last year I had a Coupe delivered to Indiana—-just under 1,000 miles—-for $1,500. 14 years ago I had one delivered and it was $1,100. Ten years ago another one was $1,200. I recently had a complete car sent here for paint from Colorado; $1,300. You can do the math.

Jeff
yup - good point... I think a lot of the guys I've talked to have had their cars a while... so it was cheaper :)

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Others you've talked to? Not sure what that means. Stewart is properly equipped to transport the kits and offers a pretty unique service of delivering the kit right into your shop or garage. Plus deal with all the loose boxes that are part of the delivery. I'd be a little wary of other offers for this same kind of service. Not saying Stewart is perfect or not without possible frustration getting your kit delivered. They have limited resources and do multiple deliveries out of the same trailer load, so optimize the route accordingly. So it may not come as quickly as you would like. But my experience with them has been good. My Gen 2 Coupe delivery to SE Michigan two years ago was $1,400. All the way to the left coast for $2,100 doesn't sound out of line to me. I ran into this video in YouTube the other day. Hadn't seen it before. It's clearly a promotional piece, but maybe gives a better idea of their service. https://youtu.be/eHZFZhow2oc.

·
7,659 Posts
Back in 2001 it was $1400 to ship to Madera, CA with Stewart. If you go with another shipper, don't forget to add in the cost for crating as well as the extra freight cost for the 1650-lb weight of the crate:

"Commercial Freight
We can ship your kit in a custom made crate via a commercial carrier of your choice. We work with many major freight carriers (Yellow, ABF, etc). The crate dimensions are 16’ long by 52” tall by 6’6” wide and it weighs 1650 lbs. The crate is made of a base layer of 4” x 4” lumber, a floor of ¾” tongue-in-groove plywood. The sides are 2” x 4” reinforced, 3/8” sheet plywood, and the top is ¾” tongue-in-groove plywood. Fork truck or pallet jack access is from front or rear. We charge for a crating fee and when you see the strength and complexity of the box, you won’t grumble too much about the price."

Ray

·
Curious George
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Others you've talked to? Not sure what that means. Stewart is properly equipped to transport the kits and offers a pretty unique service of delivering the kit right into your shop or garage. Plus deal with all the loose boxes that are part of the delivery. I'd be a little wary of other offers for this same kind of service. Not saying Stewart is perfect or not without possible frustration getting your kit delivered. They have limited resources and do multiple deliveries out of the same trailer load, so optimize the route accordingly. So it may not come as quickly as you would like. But my experience with them has been good. My Gen 2 Coupe delivery to SE Michigan two years ago was $1,400. All the way to the left coast for $2,100 doesn't sound out of line to me. I ran into this video in YouTube the other day. Hadn't seen it before. It's clearly a promotional piece, but maybe gives a better idea of their service. https://youtu.be/eHZFZhow2oc.

Others being local guys to me who’ve taken delivery Dave Borden, Trevor, etc...

I’m on board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
Two years ago, I paid $1800 to move a Cobra from the East Coast to the West Coast. I could have found a cheaper delivery person, but I went with the one that I knew was honest and had the GPS updates for me for the whole trip. But, this was a rolling car. When it comes to booking LTL loads, I find that car parts are stupid expensive to ship. For the current market and fuel cost, $2,100 for the company that knows how to transport a kit from FFR seems like a good deal. I mean, if you find someone $200 cheaper and they lose one box, you just lost your savings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Our MK4 was delivered 7/31/18 from Stewart Trans to Bakersfield for $1700 plus a c note for the driver. Gas cost has gone up considerably in the last year so $400 isn’t really out of line. The kits before mine were in Az and SoCal so going up to Sac might justify a little of the extra cost. Stewart knows what they’re doing and they do it a lot. Just my 2¢

Kurt

·
Registered
2 Posts
My base kit MKIV was delivered in early 2019 I paid $1,700 to Vacaville. Gas prices have gone up, but that’s mostly in California, I’m under the impression that gas prices in other states are still fairly low comparatively. Either way, they are the best equipped transporters for these kits as others have said.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts