Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a distributor that is supposed to be from a 1985 Mustang GT 302 with steel gear. When I went to purchase the cap and rotor the cap they sold me is much larger diameter than my distributor. The top of my distributor is about 4 inches in diameter.

What could be the problem here?? Is the 85 Mustang GT supposed to have a smaller (4 inch) distributor cap?

[ May 29, 2004, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Kobra4Kris ]

·
Senior Charter Member
721 Posts
Ahhh, you seem to be missing the "crown" or "collar" (not sure what it's called) that clips on to the distributor. It goes between the cap and dist. body. They are plentiful in the junk/salvage yards and just clip on like the cap does.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alex, thanks. I wonder if that part is available at auto parts stores??

Larry, thanks for the compliment.

Just mocking things up for now, have't decided on what t-filler I will be using yet.

·
Senior Charter Member
721 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alex, thanks for the part number. Just picked it up at Autozone. They called it a "distributor cap adapter". Mission accomplished

Larry, I'll look into the CSI unit. One question...what do I do with the radiator filler on the radiator itself and the small hole on the side???

·
Senior Charter Member
721 Posts
No problemo! On the radiator, just use a marine freeze plug (also found at local parts stores-rubber deal with bolt to tighten it) in place of the cap and plug the overflow nipple and secure with clamp. Others will say to use a higher rated cap on the radiator. To each his own.

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Like Alex said,
I went to a radiator shop and had them remove the filler neck completely, and then weld a freeze plug into the opening that remained.

Regarding the water pump belt wrap, is it possible to mount an idler on the driver's side for the belt to loop around? That way it would wrap the water pump really well (over 180 dergrees of wrap)

Just a thought. Maybe you have adequate wrap; can't see it in the pic.

·
Senior Charter Member
721 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alex, that rubber expansion plug looks perfect.

Larry, I have seen others running a similar belt wrap. Hopefully I will be OK. We'll see...if not I will certainly get a idler pulley. Good idea.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,996 Posts
Kris,

Very nice looking pulleys you got there! Are they from March or is this a reasonably priced alternative?

·
6,559 Posts
Lukas,

Your avitar concerns me. Is it me, or is there a small protrusion on the lower right of the silhouette. :rolleyes:

·
6,559 Posts
now stop that!

·
Junior Charter Member
1,996 Posts
Oh well Todd.... I have to admit that I never looked at it too closely, just thought it was funny and a bit more unique than the same boring thing I was using for the last year.

YOU however, must have looked very closely :D :D There definitely is something now that you mention it :eek: , but it might be a hand!

Since some considered it more than PG-13 I removed it and changed once again.

Peace everybody,
Lukas

·
Senior Charter Member
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kobrak, I bought the distributor from RockAuto for a 85 Mustang Gt.

Lukas, yes those are the March pulleys. I love how they look...especially the crank pulley.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts