Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have discussed this before, but after seeing the continued issues the new Spec cars are having I am once again thinking of turning the wick down on #43. Yes, the new cars are fast, really fast, but how many engines had to be replace this year?

I am thinking about trying out ST3. We will still loose top speed to the vettes on big long tracks, but in my experience we can run with the nose to tail on the tighter ones. If I do go that route, then I also would need to decide do I remove parts on my fresh build, or sell the engine in its entirety and just build a new one that is in the ~260 WHP range.

Thoughts?

·
#60 Spec Racer
122 Posts
Once you have it, you long for more. I am not in favor of detuning the Challenge series motors but am interested in addressing the reliability.

Mike #60

·
#60 Spec Racer
122 Posts
If you are thinking about selling your trick flow kit, I might have a buyer for it. Let me know if you decide to go that route. I haven't seen you at the track this year; are you still racing?

Mike

·
2,930 Posts
Marty
I still have a challenge car that was never changed over. I can tell you that anyone who drives it wishes they were in Johns Black Car. They really miss the power.
Later
MarkD

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are thinking about selling your trick flow kit, I might have a buyer for it. Let me know if you decide to go that route. I haven't seen you at the track this year; are you still racing?

Mike
Hi Mike,
It’s been a challenging year here with substantial changes in priorities. That combined with a few issues with the car late last year and yearly this year meant that I have had very little track time, much less races. I am jonesing to get back out there though, I just need to be thoughtful and frugal with both my time and finances.

As far as the trickflow kit goes, I would probably sell the engine as a whole and start fresh. The engine has a good pedigree. The original build was done by Bondurant with all new components, and the upgrades done by Steve Marcus.

·
#60 Spec Racer
122 Posts
Marty, what do you know about the NASA vintage class? Who is the contact at NASA for more information?

Mike

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Marty, what do you know about the NASA vintage class? Who is the contact at NASA for more information?

Mike
Hi Mike,
The Outlaw Vintage group currently only runs in NASA Mid-A and NASA Southeast, but they expect it to grow into the other regions as early as next year.

It was started by Gordon Slingerland and is currently being run as a series by Gordon and Lee Buckner.

You can find the rules and other items at Home.

There is a larger Multi-region even planned at VIR Octoberfast October 3-5.

The FFR’s fall nicely in V2.

Marty

·
#60 Spec Racer
122 Posts
I'm interested in the simplicity of the hp/weight and tire width rule format. I like to tinker with the car and the challenge series doesn't support that very much. My plans are to go to VIR in a few weeks; will probably sign up on the vintage series.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts