Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building a prototype for my car, hoping to turn this into a kit. Here's the plan:

Develop a remote circuit board that uses input from a SPDT momentary switch to start the flashing. It can even have it's own flasher built in. It will have a user-settable timing feature for length of time flashing, as well as a remote input for cancelling the flash from a switch or encoder on the steering shaft under the dash. In addition, a brake input will be considered for those who want to use the single-bulb taillights, and will have the needed circuitry for single taillights if used.

What do you think? any other things/functions needed? The size will be small, and will probably come in a plastic box. No idea on costyet either.

Please give me your thoughts here!

Thank you very much!

·
12,637 Posts
I ride around all the time with my signals blinking.

my brother and I tried for several days to design such a unit with a capacitor and could not make a unit that was reliable.. but a unit that starts buzzing after about 10-15 blinks after you release the brake pedal is something we ALL need. unless you get the self canceling unit that russ sells.

earl

·
Registered
11,825 Posts
i wouldn'd mind an inexpensive turn signal even if it were not self cancelling

someone made one that doesn't self cancel but it doesn't change the steering wheel position

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts
I ride around all the time with my signals blinking.
Just do what they do in LA, ride around with your four way flashers on, that way you are covered for both left and right turns! :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you are going to develop with a small micro p, might as well add to the self canceling turn signals - headlamp control + flash to pass, wiper control, horn, and washer. SS high side switches could replace the relays for a smaller system. A column mounted stalk similar to a MGB is what I'm thinking about. While your there, a simple security system could be added as well. I started development, but decided it would be better if I had an actual car to test it in. :rolleyes: The hardest part would be making the stalks to interface with (as well as the cancel mechanism). I started with proximity switches on the back of the steering wheel spokes, but decided that was way too modern, plus not giving a enough feedback. Also, the encoder part was not as trivial as it first seemed. At that point, the reality of getting the car done set in. :eek: So, I dropped it and got to building the car. Er I mean modifying - bigger trunk, new (old) ebrake, glove box, heater-dfrost-fresh air, etc.. If someone doesn't stop me, I'll never finish.

Gregg

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
22,172 Posts
This company has a turn signal product that's been on the forum before: http://www.grandcanyonengineering.com/

GKCobra is not kidding about designing everything. I think he built a really great e-brake assy and just needed car to put it in.

Greg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts