Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking back over the season so far it comes to mind that we haven't run down to Detroit Lake this year.
Looks like we may be able to squeeze one more doable weekend out of the season and was thinking it might be something to consider.
Down to the lake via inland route. Past Mollala and through Silver Falls and out 22 to Detroit Lake and then back in along the Clackamas River Rd. Southies might want to come up and meet us at Lyons or Mill City.
Not as twisty as the Merwin route but still interesting.
Anyone up for it?
DonC

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,082 Posts
Just maybe if we could do It Sat? We could tag the run "BOA" Begining of Autumn , or "BOF",( Yup,you guessed It), Begining of Fall. lol:001_smile:
Butch

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
interested if daughter doesn't have plans for me..she has already gone on an multiple day run so she won't ride again..otherwise I would take her.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Butch:
We could call it NSBOFDLFLCRRR for North South Beginning Of Fall Detroit Lake For Lunch Clackamas River Return Run.
James:
If you'd buy your daughter some new clothes instead of making her wear old clothes with holes in them maybe she wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen in public and she'd come with you );-)
DonC

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Ha. I just went out & bought her a homecoming dress that had holes front & back! In the right places of course...father approved..

·
Junior Charter Member
873 Posts
I might have to make the oil barons a little richer with my gas guzzler big block. Hope the gas stations are open all the way up and back...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Gerald,
Don't buy gas in Detroit Lake they way over charge!, if you have to get gas in the town just before...prices way less. I have a 460 as well, been getting 17 mpg on long runs..been playing with adjustments on the carb...looking forward to seeing you...

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Long range forecast is mixed between NOAA and the Weather Channel but looks like Saturday will be the better of the two days so let's plan on that.
Routing will take us past Stayton where we can top off with fuel which should carry everyone from the north to Estacada on the way back. There used to be a Chevron just past Lyons but I think that has closed. Don't have any intel on fuel coming up from the south.
If we take off at 10:00 from the Onion it should put us in Stayton about 11 and at the lake about noonish for lunch. Back into town around 3:00.
DonC

·
Junior Charter Member
873 Posts
17! wow, I wish! I'm getting 12. Didn't think a 460 would do 17 going straight down! I installed Edelbrock heads and a solid lifter cam over the winter which knocked me down a couple mpg, but it's pretty peppy now...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
it's running a solid lifter cam, match ported stock heads, 9.5/1 compression, 750 holley, 4 speed top loader with 3:00/1 rear gear. Have been playingwith jet sizes, idle screw & excelerator pump settings to achieve it.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like we may have 4 or 5 folks from down south meeting us at Mill City.
As it stands right now:
Start off at the Onion at 10:00. Routing will be out Beavercreek Rd. to Union Mills and then over to 213 and then down to Stayton for fuel. (Onion to Stayton 51 Mi. - Stayton to Detroit 37 Mi. - Detroit to Estacada 70 Mi. or 158 from the Onion to Estacada.)
Meet anyone coming up from the south at Mill City and proceed to Detroit. Lunch at The Cedars Restaurant in Detroit.
From Detroit up to Estacada via the Clackamas River Rd. with a stop at the ranger station about half way through.
Should put us home by about 3:00 or so.
Steve: If you're planning on coming along we can pick you up on the way since we'll be going right past your house. Let me know and, if you're going, I'll call you when we leave the Onion.
DonC

·
Registered
434 Posts
Going to be at PIR w/ Cascade Sports Cars helping as a driving instructor. Everyone have fun!!

Don H

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Don C, doesn't look like I'm going to make it either. Too many chores to do before winter sets in.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Weather looks like it could be rearing it's ugly head. Had actual rain here this morning.
Forecast looks like tomorrow is supposed to be slightly better than today but it's getting to the "crap shoot" time of year again.
I'll keep checking throughout the day and post by 8:00 in the morning tomorrow for a final weather call. Keeping my fingers crossed. Hope that's early enough for our southern brethren to notify anyone who's planning on coming up.
Would like to have a cell phone number for the southies in case we need to get a hold of you.
Mine is 503-260-5687
DonC

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.