Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's machinists and hobbiests on here...

I'm looking into building/buying a desktop CNC Mill, but can't seem to find something that has what I want.

I need 18" X and Y movement. Most setups seem quite limited on the Y axis. PC based setup, not a huge standalone system. 1/4 hp motor should suit me. It's for steel or aluminum sheets, no more than 1/8" thick.

I don't mind building it if I have a kit. Anyone out there know of one? I was thinking of buying one of the MAXNC kits, and building my own table. I have access to a machine shop, bridgeport verticle mill etc.

Can anyone give me some direction on reasonably priced kits and plans? Or if someone makes this in a sub $2k prebuilt setup? I figure I can build it for $800-$1000 if I have some sort of idea on how to set it up, or if I have some plans.

-steve in nj-

·
7,842 Posts
I am a machinist by trade and have never seen a small machine like that, that would cut steel or even mild aluminum. they just dont have the stength. they are more for demo purposes than anything else. My company bought a small machine that is basically a 3 axis CNC bridge port. Very nice but still limited. A friend of mine built one of those table top CNCs and said it wasnt worth the money. IF you do come across something let me know. I would be interested myself.

·
Charter Member
483 Posts
I have a shoptask Mill / Lath. It can take 3 stepper motors to turn it into a CNC system. Check out www.shoptask.com

FYI - I am an EE, so I installed the motors for "FUN" but have not compleated the move to CNC.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went looking on that site and found:

http://www.shoptask.com/customerproject4.htm

Incredible.

The thing is, I'd imagine the entire motor assembly I can buy to suit my needs. It'll be right next to a 220 source.

I was figuring the end product would look something like:

http://www.deskam.com/PCBMach.jpg

That I want to build.

I just need plans, or even a website on someone else who's done it.

Even with the normal 1/4 hp motors, I figure they should cut through 1/8" aluminum. I'm not looking for high speeds, I don't mind low feedrates.

Anyone have information (place that sells them) on higher hp motors for cnc machines? I figure I can run 1-3 hp with my electrical situation.

-steve in nj-

·
Registered
92 Posts
If all you are looking for is something to create contours in plate, consider sub-ing it out to someone with a laser cutter. It'll be a lot cheaper than buying equipment and doing it yourself. The crossover point would probably be 10,000 inches of cut, even if you don't include your labor. Accurate to .005" from your DXF file.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks bob and everyone else.

Since I have/will have access to a machine shop, I think I'm going to build myself a cnc mill. (sounds crazy...)

I can't really farm the work out, and there will be a lot of tweaking that I can't do if I outsource it. Hopefully the machine will pay for itself.

I plan to mostly deal with Polycarbonate, but figure some aluminum will pop on in there. Thanks for the info.

-steve in nj-

·
Registered
355 Posts
Has anyone delt with a Smithy ? It's a 3in1 (Mill, Drill, Lathe) with CNC upgradeability. Is this a decent machine? What size and type of machine is your's Mike. How much would you expect to pay for a good CNC machine? Thanks Guys.

·
Charter Member
423 Posts
Steve,
We just bougth a little CNC router at work fo PC boards, we use it for aluminum and brass sheet stock for routing little do-dads. I'll get info on it when I get to work, one thing I do know is it wasn't cheap (like $20K) that's software and encloser with vacuum system. they may make a lower priced unit.

Ron

·
FFCobra Craftsman
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those 20k machines are wayyyy out of my price range.

I think I can do it for under $1500 if I build a good portion of it myself.

The problem with most setups that have my X,Y travel, tend to be large machines that do a lot more than what I need. The inexpensive machines are great...except for the travel.

Plus, I think for ease, I'd like to go with a PC based setup.

-steve in nj-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts