Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experice with these plugs in Blown 5.0 applications? There was an article in this month's 5.0 mustang mag. which posted 15 hp on the chasis dyno with the change in a blown 4.6. They are rather pricy about $12 each but with the plugs being as hard to change esp #7 it may be worth it if they work well and last longer.
I've always been a copper plug guy but I'm willing to change for more HP.

·
6,546 Posts
Snake Oil.

Get Autolites - about 10 bucks for the whole set.

You could change them 8 times and still be ahead.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Running colder plugs is always a good idea in blown applications to reduce KR. Best bet is to tap that computer and see how much KR you have. On my Buick I run about 13PSI of boost with no KR.

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
I was going to ask what "KR" meant, but I'm guessing it means "knock retard"? The EEC-IV harness doesn't have provision for a knock sensor. At least 87-93. I don't know about the later years.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I don't have any experience with them but I read the same article and have read others in both mags with similar results. Based on the dyno tests, these plugs look like an excellent product, but for $12 each?....don't think so.
I'd stick with Autolites and maybe index them if it makes you feel better.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like good advice I'll stick with the Autolites. It's an easy change now as my heads are sitting on my work bench.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
958 Posts
As soon as the sharp edge erodes a bit on any plug, more voltage must build up before the plug fires which tends to diminish fat amperage spark heat. Plug crispness can be extended by occasionally filing the electrodes on any plug to a sharp edge again. I agree that a bit of snakeoil is present in hyped aircleaner and sparkplug advertising.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.