Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
6,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my daughter a $1900 laptop for graduation. So it isn't like I am talking about the bottom of the line machine here. And I bought the 3 year supposedly on site service contract.

Well, so far in the year and a half she has owned it, first the heat sink caused the mother board to go. After many phone calls denying they had a problem they finally sent someone to come replace the mother board.

Then soon after, the hard drive went. Rather than come fix it they mailed a hard drive to her, made her install it and made her re-install all the software. So even though the machine is supposedly under warranty you still spend considerable time making your own repair and reloading software.

Ok, so now the display won't work. Rather than sending someone to fix it, they want her to start dismantling the machine to diagnosis it. Now, there own web site says if you take the machine apart you will void the warranty.

Of course you can't even get through to an American to say, "Hey, honor your warranty." Instead you are talking to someone in India who won't vary one word from the prepared script.
And of couse since it is Saturday you can't get through to their so called "Customer Care" until Monday.

So I guess on Monday I get to spend a couple hours on the phone yelling at people at Dell until I find one person with a brain. So for now I am just venting. I think there strategy is if they make this difficult enough you will just give up and then they don't have to spend any money honoring their warranty.

·
Trenchant
2,692 Posts
Good grief.

Six years ago we had a lot of problems with two Dell laptops that would never run right (all hardware trouble, not software).

After so many years and all the good reviews we read we got a couple of new ones.

They are already having problems too.

Ugh.

·
15,282 Posts
I'm disappointed to hear about your experiences. I've had several Dell laptops, and (knock wood) have had VERY GOOD service out of them. And I've had everything from top-of-the-line to $600-el-cheapo.

I will admit that service is a problem. Luckily, I was a "business customer," and they don't subject us to the India tech support. They did for a couple of months, and there was such an uproar and drop-off in business that they brought "good tech" back to the U.S. Too bad consumers don't have enough organized clout to make them do the same thing.

Good luck calling on Monday... Let 'er rip.

Cheers, John

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Dells Suck period. I have a laptop and we buy them at my company and nothing but problems and yes the customer service is horrible. They have fallen a loooooonnnnnngggg way over the years. CHEEEEEPPPP parts is right.

Sony Vaio at home and really like it. Liquid cooling makes it really quiet.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,062 Posts
i love my dell monitor, i definatly understand that dell is shooting down the tube. If you want a really good laptop, i would look into getting a panasonic toughbook. They are high quality and are built to be abused. There arent very many high quality notebooks in the PC area. If you are willing to go Apple, any apple notebook is really top of the line

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I really don't understand why people are so taken with Dell. I've had at least one new Laptop every year for the last ten years. Dell's HP/Compaq's and IBM's. The IBM laptops have been much more reliable than the others and when I have needed service on them it has ALWAYS been top notch. Dell service on the other hand has pretty much sucked every time I used it. This applies to laptops, desktops and servers. It's always an Indian that I can barely understand walking me though unnecessary diagnostics. We have four hour service contracts on our Dell servers. In the last few months I've called for service three times. The first took three days and several calls to get fixed, the second, they sent a new mother board the next day but no one to install it and the third they got it together and sent me a new stick of memory in two hours. I'd much rather deal with IBM or HP tech support.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,177 Posts
Dell customer support is a joke (been there,done that).I had one built and bought the 15 inch phillips monitor (flat LCD type).the monitor cost me 500 bucks,,,,,,6 mos later they were selling the same monitor for 150 bucks.

The Best DELL computer i ever saw was a video i downloaded,,,,,it was placed in a field and dismantled by a Browning air cooled 1919A4 Machine gun. The cloth 250 round belt was emptied into the Dell...Damn it looked great after that.Every 5th round was a tracer (Big Evil Grin)..

·
Trenchant
2,692 Posts
Dukegrad, thanks for the news.

I'm a business customer too so maybe all will be handled well when I call.

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
" The IBM laptops have been much more reliable than the others and when I have needed service on them it has ALWAYS been top notch. Dell service on the other hand has pretty much sucked every time I used it. This applies to laptops, desktops and servers. "

EXACTLY. Dell SUCKS, I have always said it, always will. I will NEVER ever have another dell. My Thinkpad cost much less than a comparable dell and is much much better.

I wish nothing but bad things on dell as a company, they take advantage of people who do not know any better and give Windows a bad rap. Ever notice how dells are constantly taken by viruses, popups, and spyware and that my IBM never has those problems? Hmmmmm...dell is crap.

Next computer will be an Apple however, MacOS is freaking awesome.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Next computer will be an Apple however, MacOS is freaking awesome. [/QB]
You know...if you got an apple w/ the coming intel chips, you could install Windows on that as well... ;)

I'll chime in w/ my $.02 as well. I've never really had much good luck w/ dell's period. Brand new machines straight out of the box with issues. Hard drives are a big weakness in the laptops, as are the optical drives.

I work almost exclusively with laptops right now. I'm workstudying for the IT help desk @ my college @ UVM. Lots of old dells floating around still. Driver support is awful. You can log straight into their support website, enter the machine number and still have a choice of 10 different drivers for lan/wireless cards!!!

Sorry to hear about your troubles, thats never any fun.

·
Arruminum
3,691 Posts
My Dell PCs have been pretty much bulletproof. Never had one of their laptops. Tech support goes to the lowest bidder for companies like that. Those companies are usually paid per call they take, not per resolution so the more calls they take the more $ they get. There is a system of checks and balances, but overall its quantity, not quality. Now that things have gone to India, it is even worse. They never vary from those scripts. Its laughable unless you are the one trying to get help. I could tell you some funny stories from the time that I did desktop support for Gateway...but this is a public forum and I may still be liable.

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
I'm on a Dell PC now and it has been great with two ham fisted teenagers pounding on it and my wife's shopping blitzes melting the keyboard! Prior to this, we had a top of the line Dell laptop (Inspirion?) and it was a total POS (power supply, hard drive, and DVD all went within 18 months at seperate times). I love how you call the Customer Care and you get "Tom" Paganishihan or "Bill" Singharinian who are very friendly, but completely unhelpful. After my horrible experience with the PC, I only bought the desk top because of the company discount. Right after that work switched to IBM. Go figure.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Please consider a Mac. I made the "switch" to a Mac 3 years ago and will never buy another PC again. The misconceptions about their non-compatability with other non-Mac's is nonsense (e.g. Word & Excel files). Plus, there's not a SINGLE virus that affects their operating system. Check out these entertaining newsletters for more on this topic: http://homepage.mac.com/drbilly/filechute/newsletter.pdf

I'll admit, they are a little more expensive but worth every penny.

·
15,282 Posts
IBM fans...let's not forget that the entire ThinkPad division has been sold to Lenovo, a Chinese manufacturer. They've already been called "StinkPads" for years...I bet serious problems lie ahead. I had one or two older Thinkpads a few years ago, and they were decent. Not great performers, but pretty reliable.

This past summer I bought a Toshiba laptop, loaded. So far I love it.

Cheers, John

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
"IBM fans...let's not forget that the entire ThinkPad division has been sold to Lenovo, a Chinese manufacturer. They've already been called "StinkPads" for years...I bet serious problems lie ahead. I had one or two older Thinkpads a few years ago, and they were decent. Not great performers, but pretty reliable.
"

Mine was bought after that and the quality is the same as the one I got 3 years ago. They were sold to a chinese company because making stuff overseas is cheaper. The quality of chinese manufacturing is fantastic if you want fantastic quality. I have never heard of one called a stinkpad, id love to see where that comes from.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I've had good and bad DEll laptops over the years... bought a bunch of C600's / 800's for the engineers (16 months ago) which I sadly will agree have seen way too much service. Currently not a happy customer.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Man Aaron. They have been called stink pads for years.

Our company had dell laptops as the coporate standard for the past 6 years and I had 2 during that cycle. I never had an issue with wither one. I still have the first and it runs fine.

We just switched to IBM a year ago. I was very leary because I remember before the Dell switch they had Compaq which was a switch from IBM. Back then they were the pits. I have had my IBM T40 for a little over a year now and am quite happy with it. I would recommend one to anyone. That goes for Dell too.

Joe, I guess you didn't spring for the gold support. I usually get Dell server parts in about 2 hours and speak to support based in the US

Jeff, the reason there is no virus that affects a Mac is, the hackers want the big splash of hitting a an OS with a large market share. A virus attacking 0.5% of the machines out there doesn't give them much bragging rights. Same thing happened with firefox. When it started invading into IE's realm you started seeing vulnerabilties.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
For what it is worth, my Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop is really a nice machine; I could not be happier in the 6 months since purchase.

They have great $750-off coupon discounts occasionly, too.

For an Apple user's review, see Dell Laptop review

·
Charter Member
252 Posts
I bought my wife an ibook G4, and it is amazing. I believe it has a 1.25Ghz processor, but it is plent fast .I also have an HP Pavillion, and the battery on the Apple lasts much longer than the HP. They both cost about the same too. If you're not locked into needing Windows, I would seriously consider a Mac.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts