Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was wondering what the degas tanks are for, what's its purpose, do you need one with an over flow tank, or do you need both, does the degas tank take the place of the filler neck that came with the kit? Fill me in guys, not sure what to do with this part of the build.
Thanks in advance,
Lile

·
Premium Member
10,474 Posts
I've asked the same question. Here's the thread on it:

Degas Tank

·
3,798 Posts

This is what I did.

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
GT500 man has the deal . I have a similar setup on my stroker . The header tank mounts to the tstat housing .The upper hose connects to the rad and the tank , I have Gordons rad and it has a fitting on the drivers side top that connects to the small fitting on the tank . The system continually burps air out .Shelby knew it thats why they came that way. FRPP know is it hence the degas tank on the cobra R . I don't believe you need a puke tank with it . Forte and Finish line have them GT500 man s looks like mine from finish line. Consider them expansion tanks like on new Fords . If you plan to race you need an overflow. Bob

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
This is a Forte's degas tank that I modified by adding a weld on bung to connect the tank with the top of the radiator, making it self burping. Since the rad is a cross flow, there is no expansion room in the system, when used in a FFR. The degas tank, in addition to having a convient place to fill the system, allows for coolant expansion. I also use an overflow tank, to catch any coolant that may pass the radiator cap. With this system, the car has never overheated, the fan kicks on at aprox 190º, and off at aprox 180º. I'm using a Painless fan switch, the sender is located in the bottom of the degas tank. John

·
Charter Member
2,649 Posts
I too did mine similar to J Persons. I fabricated my own wateroutlet fitting to keep the Degas tank cap the high point in the system. I also have an over flow tank.
Bob Mac
FFR3981

·
Charter Member
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With the degas tank do you have to have the line running back to the radiator, or can you get by without it, I have the degas tank and an over flow tank. Thanks for the pictures, kinda what I had in mind for my set up.
Thanks again,
Lile

1 - 8 of 8 Posts