Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've purchased a heater unit from Cobra Accessories (CA) and am wondering what other have done for defroster vent plumbing and top side dress up. CA has what appear to be nice looking chrome top-side vent covers, but no plumbing.

Ken Pike (who's doin' my body) said he's seen an underdash set-up that is nice but couldn't remember where it from.

I'm WFO on this guys so let's hear it. Thanks and here's to good friends!

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
There was a post here on a nice unit formed out of glass that was really pretty small - best guess is about a year ago. I am using the 2" tube with the adaptors that came with my Vintage air heater. I would guess that they do have them for sale by themselves.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,613 Posts
I think CA sells the box heater. I grafted a 1966 Mustang defrost plenum to my box heater. Fabricated nozzels from Home Depot shop vac nozzels and connected with Mustang defrost hose. With a dash mounted cable, I get driver heat and defrost even with the wife's doors open. Probably $35 in parts plus the chrome outlets.

E-mail and I can send a couple pics and a better discription if that is of interest.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I just got a set of chrome vents from Finish Line, pricey with shipping to Canada but real nice. I figure they will be very visible and I wanted it to look good. I have the FFR heater unit with the flex hose to the defrosters.
David W

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys. Sounds as though I've found another fab "time monster". Ahh the labors of love!

·
Registered
717 Posts
I also used the finishline vent. I routed two slots in the cowl. Underneath I built a fiberglass ductwork with a connection for a heat vent hose to the heater. Trick is, the styrofoam packing that the windshield comes in is the same curvature as the cowl. You can use this as a mold for building the fiberglass ductwork. Before you lay the resin and glass cloth, line the styrofoam mold with saran wrap so it comes off easily when dry.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I used some rectangular PVC tubing for the duct. Heated it up until it got soft then bent it to conform to the shape of the body. The screws from the defroster vents to attach it to the body. I also used some foam tape between the duct and the body to seal it up. There is some more info in this thread.

Here's a pic.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
I bought the finish line chrome covers. If I had it to do over again they would be painted. The chrome looks good, but when the sun is out there is a mirror image reflection that ends up right in the middle of the windshield. very annoying.
my .02

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.