Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am close to putting the body on and I have the heater/defroster option. In theory, you bolt the defroster grills on the top of the body with the bolts going thru the body and thru the defroster plastic horns under the body and then you put a nut on from the bottom. I don't see any way to get a hand and a nut up thru the backside of the dash to get them on the bolts, especially on the passenger side where the heater box takes up most of the space. Does anyone have a good way to install these defroster ducts and grills once you get the body on? Thanks.

· Registered
139 Posts
Hey Jim,

We're at about the same stage. Your post caught my attention because I was wondering the same thing. I have my heater vents and hoses installed but was wondering about the defrost. It will be interesting to see what others post.
My thought was to get the vents and hoses installed on the body before it is dropped in place and have someone (my son) pull the hoses through as the body is lowered.:001_tongue:

· Registered
1,987 Posts
I put mine in without the dash or windshield installed.

Jeff

· Registered
1,052 Posts
As previously mentioned, you do this before the body goes on the car. When the body is being placed on the frame for the final time, it's best to have someone in the car that can attach the defroster tubes to the ducts while the body is being lowered the last couple of inches.

Bruce

· Junior Charter Member
333 Posts
On mine, I attached an 8/32 bolt and nut to the defrosted outlet and then a gob of HSRF to the nut on the underside to hold it in place. With the dash and body in place, I can hold the defroster grill off to one side, install the first screw through the grill and into the outlet, snug it up and then move the defrost grill over the other end and install the other screw. Takes a bit of fiddling but can be done with one person. No need to try to get under the dash to hold stuff in place while someone else installs the fasteners from above.

Peter

· Registered
1,285 Posts
I had them installed and they were useless. I then used the defroster outlets for 2 more heater vents. If you need them for inspection, they only look for the installed grates. Really glad I did that, and so is my wife. Ordered extra vents from Vintage air ($$$$$$)

HTH Dennis

· Registered
263 Posts
Didn't like the crappy vac-formed defroster funnels. Used some "Rigid" brand shop vac hose and nozzels with some PVC pipe elbows. Plugged in the end hose just before I set the body all the way on. Only a suggestion - not looking for a debate! :)

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.