Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
3 Generations on a MkIII
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gave up on searching past posts. Does anyone out there have a list, checklist, or advice on going from EFI to carb? I have a 90 LX donor that I have had enough of F’ing with. 18 year old crap is causing more problems than I want to mess with. I want to DRIVE not trouble shoot.
Anyone go from EFI to carb and keep a list of parts? How about a cost spread sheet? Thanks guys!

I think I need:New intake, a carb, gaskets, new dizzy, new fuel pump, fuel lines, and beer. What did I miss?

---Mike Torres

·
The Traveler
3,101 Posts
Depending on the distributor you will need a coil, and ignition box to run the distributor.
You will also need a throttle cable - I tried the EFI one but just could not get it to work well. Depending on the throttle cable you will also need the hardware to attach it and bracket to mount it to on the intake manifold.

Here is the list of the switch over parts I used:
Autozone 1985 Ford Distributor - rebuilt with proper gear for roller cam -steel gear! They SHOULD ask you which you need.
Ebay blue grommet DuraSpark ignition box
Painless wiring kit with plugs to connect between coil, distributor & ignition box Painless Part # 30812
In tank fuel pump 1985 Ford mustang 4cyl efi intank pump - stock fuel lines
Mallory fuel regulator model # 4309 - with a return line
Throttle cable - from parts list Bob Mac's configuration
http://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188921&highlight=throttle+cable
Air Cleaner, PVC for rocker cover - (got new rocker covers so needed rubber grommet for PVC)
Intake & Carb

All the above combination now has a "boat load" of miles on it with zero problems! - other than my initial one with old 7 year old battery dying and radiator too small to deal with the summer heat and new stroker engine!

Starts right up, idles at 600 rpm, can roll along at parade speeds smoothly, and best of all smokes the tires!!!

·
3 Generations on a MkIII
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Looks like it is going to be around 1K. Damn. I can probably sell the EFI stuff. I guess there is a reason why people don't do budget builds....They like driving cars not working on them......

·
The Traveler
3,101 Posts
Then do like I did watched ebay and here. From a list I made up started gathering parts till I had all I needed.

The intake and carb are the biggest ticket items, but I watched here and got a intake cheap then took a chance on ebay for a holley carb - did a basic rebuild and I got lucky, as the carb has performed well! In my case I think the carb was my biggest "risk". I was ready to just buy a new one if I needed.
The distributor is about $60, the dynaspark was a $15.00 on ebay, the wiring harness - you can do without BUT it sure makes life easier to plug it all together with the right connectors - about $125, kind of pricie. Comes with resistor too.
Careful buying and you can get it down to about half of that thousand.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Mike,
I have all the parts needed to install a carb conversion. Do you want MSD dist or stock Duraspark?
Call me if you're still looking.
Mike Forte

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Heres what I did and it wasnt that much to get me started.
PromComp 8022L Distributor 120.00
ProComp Electronic Coil 30.00
Ebay Performance Parts Intake 110.00
Holley 600 Carb vacuum secondary 289.00
Holley Fuel regulator with by-pass 25.00
Holley Std 2 port Regulator 15.00
Lokar Throttle Bracket #srk-4000 23.00
Used stock throttle cable and cut end of bracket so it would snap in
I used the standard mustang pump and filter the tapped in the pressure and return lines. I could only get the pressure down to 9 psi so I put the 2 port regulator between the carb anf the 1st regulator. That got me to 5 psi. The dizzy coil carb and intake were bolt ons. I started it 1st to make sure it run then started whacking wires off the efi harness starting with each cut to make sure it still started. The performance was much better with lots more power. I ran it one summer with no problems. I then went to a 650 double pumper with a Victor Jr intake and it really woke it up. All this was on an 87,000 mile donor motor. I finally rebuilt the engine to a 306 and put GT40P heads on and a B303 cam with a set of 3.73 gears. Then it really started to fly. I'm now in the process of 2 390 Holleys and a DCS dual quad intake. The 1st relative switch was easy. Heres a pic of its current state till about 2 weeks ago.

Here it was when I 1st did it:

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
There used to be a web site dedicated to information about a 302 EFI>CARB conversion. It was something like www.jason.fletcher.net but the web site doesn't seem to be up anymore. Maybe someone can find a cached version of that web site..??

If nobody is able to post a cached version, I might have the info printed out on hard copy. If I do, I don't mind scanning and sending to you what I have.

Joe - -

·
Registered
11,828 Posts

you can save a bunch of $$$ by swapping out the EFI motor for Master Brand Electric E2025. about $50 with new sock at Autozone. use a piece of split fuel like to take up the extra space because the low pressure carb pump is a little thinner.

i plugged the return line feed on the fuel pump cage.

i used a non-return style fuel pressure regulator, Holley, about $25.

also, check out Duralast distributors from Autozone. if somebody passes you, it won't be because of your distributor!

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts

·
3 Generations on a MkIII
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WOW! Thanks guys!!! This is FAQ stuff right here!!

----Mike Torres

1 - 12 of 12 Posts