Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had last week off, and made quit a bit of progress on the car.

-Mated the tranny to the engine.
-Put the engine and trans in the frame.
-Put the drive shaft in.
-Filled the brake system and bled the brakes (only one small leak).
-Installed the serpentine belt.
-Put on the cap of the power steering pulley (Not included in the whole kit????)
-Fabbed an e-cable bracket. Needs more work but needed to bleed the brakes before I can assess that.

Wanted to fill the entire drive line too, but my back had other ideas:sad:
Need to put the dipstick in and plug the original hole in the block. Any idea's for that??

If it wasn't for the $$ the job brings, I'd stay home and work on the Coupe! LOL

John

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hey John,
Good work! I've done that a couple of times myself; feels great to just focus and get a lot done, doesn't it. That job thing is highly inconvenient and sometimes annoying, but it does fund a lot of stuff!

Where did you move your dipstick to? I didn't know there was a choice. When I was moving my engine around, I plugged mine with a rubber plug that looked kind of like a small, thick-walled thimble. It fit pretty tight, so maybe that might be an option for you?

Cheers,
John

·
Coolest Puzzle ever !
1,305 Posts
job

Your right the job does get in the way of the project sometimes, but well....without it there would not be any projects!

Cheers

keep up the good work

mk4

·
Senior Charter Member
2,969 Posts
I recently had a little accident and injured my fingers on my left hand (I'm right handed). I broke the bone in the tip of my index finger...it hurt like hell. My very first thought was "how am I going to keep working on the car now". I don't think I even thought about my real job (where I need my fingers) until at least 30 minutes later and even then I didn't fully realize the impact it would have. I was when I went back to work that it hit me.

I think I am addicted...and obsessed too.

Marc

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL guys, glad I'm not the only one with the disease.

I got all this done besides dropping and picking up the kids from school, taking the wife to lunch and diner, X-mas shopping etc. Just think of the potential.....

John I got rid of the stock pan that had the sump in the rear with the dip stick going through the top of the engine block flange. With the after market Canton pan the sump is in the front and on the pan itself. I was thinking about using a rubber plug too. No problem with that popping out?

John

·
Registered
588 Posts
...No problem with that popping out?....
Nope, but I didn't run the engine with it in place. It was just to plug the hole during the build. I had it in there pretty tight, though; needed pliers to pull it out again. I could be wrong, but I don't think there's a lot of oil pressure at that opening - if there was, I think oil would come out the dipstick tube??

Hey, another quick question: is that Canton pan fully above the bottom of the 4" frame tubes? I have the Ford Racing 306, and the pan is exactly level with the bottom of the frame tubes, but the drain plug is just a little lower, maybe 1/4 to 1/2" or so. With so little ground clearance, it makes me nervous.....

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
John

The standard pan had the same set up and was the reason I wanted the different pan. I think it will be fine with the new pan once I level the engine since it has the drain on the side.

John

·
Registered
234 Posts
Dipstick hole plug

Need to put the dipstick in and plug the original hole in the block. Any idea's for that??

John,
I used my lathe and turned a piece of solid stock to have a step at the top and a grove for an o-ring in the middle then pushed it into the dipstick hole in the side of the block.
You could do the same thing with a short bolt and some silicone.....
Mark

·
Junior Charter Member
249 Posts
My Canton pay is level with the bottom of the tubes. The pan plug is slightly lower but that't no concern, Look at the bell housing. That is where I have a problem. Its about 1 3/4 lower. Gotta watch for uneven road surfaces.
Just too D*** close for me.

·
Registered
334 Posts

John,
I used my lathe and turned a piece of solid stock to have a step at the top and a grove for an o-ring in the middle then pushed it into the dipstick hole in the side of the block.
You could do the same thing with a short bolt and some silicone.....
Mark
ford actually makes a plug for it. not sure of a part number or anything but a member on this board sent me one that had ford written on it and it fit right in no issues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.