Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i will mot be posting every little thing, but will try to hit the unique and milestones. That said, I will start with some mundane.

Delivery Day, Sept 30, 2017

Pushing it down the street to the house

Body Moved to Buck

Ready to start Assembly

I'm looking forward to getting started Dean

·
Registered
552 Posts
Congrats Dean, good start!
JR

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Koni Double Adjustable Front Mounting Location

I purchased the Koni double Adjustable shock option and noted this AM that there are 2 mounting holes available for the top mounts as shown in this pic.

The manuals, forum search, and FFR instruction search did not provide an answer as to whether to use the top hole or the bottom hole. I am using the FFR tubular lower control arms if makes a difference.

Thanks

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,368 Posts
If you try to put it in the top hole will the spring seat fit between the mount ears?

·
Registered
728 Posts
The two different hole locations on each side make it double adjustable, right? >:)
The neck on your shock mount looks longer than my earlier mk4, as if it is suppose to be mounted in the upper hole. See attached picture.
Looks like the only difference between the mount holes is a little bit of wheel clearance and a slightly different wheel rate for the same springs. I'd try the upper and see if it works.

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Ah - let's see. dhuff and bhuff. Both from Olathe, KS. Maybe they're related? :wink2:

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
I purchased the Koni double Adjustable shock option and noted this AM that there are 2 mounting holes available for the top mounts as shown in this pic.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vQFqWaEqC53mixAzm8C5fSCPI3wTY6u7/view?usp=sharing

The manuals, forum search, and FFR instruction search did not provide an answer as to whether to use the top hole or the bottom hole. I am using the FFR tubular lower control arms if makes a difference.

Thanks
The bottom hole is used for the red Koni shocks. The top hole is used for the double action silver Koni shocks. Front and back. Which also must be installed with the body down. This was discussed on the other forum and confirmed with a call to Factory Five. Looks like you have them installed that way, so all good.

Front suspension and brakes are complete.
Unfortunately, your UCA's are installed incorrectly. The rear pivots should be on the top, and the zerks pointed up. The pictures in the instruction manual show it correctly, but unfortunately it's never mentioned that it's necessary to disassemble and re-assemble to get the proper orientation. You're in good company. Many have missed this. They come from the vendor assembled upside down for this application. Your upper ball joint is installed correctly, with the ball joint pointed out.

Note: While you're fixing this, it's generally recommend to have bolts go in from the top with the nut on the bottom. That way should the nut ever fall off, there's a chance the bolt will stay in place and avert an even worse situation. When you take the UCA's apart to flip the pivots over, put the bolts in from the other side.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bottom hole is used for the red Koni shocks. The top hole is used for the double action silver Koni shocks. Front and back. Which also must be installed with the body down. This was discussed on the other forum and confirmed with a call to Factory Five. Looks like you have them installed that way, so all good.

Thanks. i contacted Tech and go this answer also.

Unfortunately, your UCA's are installed incorrectly. The rear pivots should be on the top, and the zerks pointed up. The pictures in the instruction manual show it correctly, but unfortunately it's never mentioned that it's necessary to disassemble and re-assemble to get the proper orientation. You're in good company. Many have missed this. They come from the vendor assembled upside down for this application. Your upper ball joint is installed correctly, with the ball joint pointed out.

Note: While you're fixing this, it's generally recommend to have bolts go in from the top with the nut on the bottom. That way should the nut ever fall off, there's a chance the bolt will stay in place and avert an even worse situation. When you take the UCA's apart to flip the pivots over, put the bolts in from the other side.
OOPS. Glad you noticed. i put them in the way i knew the ball joint needed to go and thought the grease zerks pointed down would make then easier to reach so didn't think that they may come assembled incorrectly. i'm starting to realize i need to pay more attention to the pictures since they show things that are not mentioned. i will also put the nuts on the bottom as suggested. I will get this corrected.

Regarding the mount location of the pivot bar, i have the FFR spindles so i followed the "Complete Manual" which on page 37 says to use the side mount location not the top mount location.

Thanks Dean

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
Regarding the mount location of the pivot bar, i have the FFR spindles so i followed the "Complete Manual" which on page 37 says to use the side mount location not the top mount location.

Thanks Dean
I didn't state that very clearly. Your cross shaft is in the right location. Wasn't talking about that. It's the swivels on the ends that are wrong. When you flip them over so that the zerks are pointing up, you'll see the pivots are off-center and are pivoting from the top half of the cross shaft vs. the bottom. Hope that makes better sense.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't state that very clearly. Your cross shaft is in the right location. Wasn't talking about that. It's the swivels on the ends that are wrong. When you flip them over so that the zerks are pointing up, you'll see the pivots are off-center and are pivoting from the top half of the cross shaft vs. the bottom. Hope that makes better sense.
Got it. Thanks Dean

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i purchased a new 2004 furl tank and need to identify the parts indicated on the included picture. Does anyone have the part numbers or Ford's name for these parts?

thanks Dean

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts