Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering building a Daytona Coupe. I am in the research stage of the process. I am torn between building a car with all the modern (as many as I can afford) conveniences/”stuff” (e.g., cruise control, ABS brakes, fuel injection, modern engine, etc. modern color, no race car stripes, numbers, sponsor advertisements, etc.). OR A car as close to the originals as reasonably possible, vintage 289 or 302 engine etc. Today I’m on the side of “as close to the original” as possible.

I don’t plan for this car to be a trailer/garage queen. I plan to drive it as much as possible so I need it to be reasonably reliable. I had a 1965 Corvette for many years and I drove the heck out of it. So I am familiar with sports cars and my gearhead need to tinker.

Sooooo I’m looking for what you guys think the “baseline’ for the Daytona Coupe would be. THANKS in advance for your opions. Gary

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I have a 302 with EFI, power steering, power brakes, AC/heat, four wheel disk. external color is not old fashion but all the outside things like wheels and mirrors are period correct.

be cheaper then building it with a coyote etc.

one is not better then the other, just different.

the period correct look is timeless and for resale probably better.

ABS is not seen often on these cars.

John

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John, first Valkyrie is one mean looking car. Sorry to hear about your engine trouble. Thanks for your input. The Coyote is out of my budget the small block Ford is where I think am going. I haven’t decided if I should go the more authentic rout with a 289 or what good SBF engine I can find.

THANKS Gary

·
Registered
384 Posts
As soon as you said "driver" you answered the question for me, definitely go PS PB AC EFI, ABS is a lot of work but would be great, a "modern engine" like a coyote is either very expensive to do as a new crate or rather difficult as a junkyard build. A stroker SBF (331,347,363) with one of the aftermarket EFI TB would work real nice, simple and relatively inexpensive.
You didn't mention suspension or brakes but the same applies. The Mustang brakes from the kit and a hydroboost will put you through the windshield and are fine for occasional track days.
The 3 link suspension is great and cheap all around, the independent late modelustang stuff is nice but will add mucho $$$ to the build too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As soon as you said "driver" you answered the question for me, definitely go PS PB AC EFI, ABS is a lot of work but would be great, a "modern engine" like a coyote is either very expensive to do as a new crate or rather difficult as a junkyard build. A stroker SBF (331,347,363) with one of the aftermarket EFI TB would work real nice, simple and relatively inexpensive.
You didn't mention suspension or brakes but the same applies. The Mustang brakes from the kit and a hydroboost will put you through the windshield and are fine for occasional track days.
The 3 link suspension is great and cheap all around, the independent late modelustang stuff is nice but will add mucho $$$ to the build too.
Mike THANKS for your input. In the traditional spirit of things I was thinking of 15" wheels and Billboard or similar DOT approved tires with stickers/paint graphics, therefore the Mustang brakes. I was thinking the front suspension would be as supplied with the kit. As for the rear suspension my final budget will dictate that. Since I live in CT a '71 or earlier engine block (no emissions stuff except the PCV) would make titling and registration easier. (hence my thoughts of using a 289 block if I could fine one)

THANKS Gary

·
Registered
3,600 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
When it comes down to it, both "authentic" and "authentic plus" builds will turn out great. You are on the right track to make this decision before you start the build. Please note that even with some modern technology, it will still not be a modern car. It will be loud and take a lot of driver input to drive. By your words, it sounds like you want a car to put a lot of miles on. That is great. If adding a small convenience item helps you drive more, then go for it. I am talking about stuff like power steering. Some people just do not like or want it. If you are street driving or even think that you will not drive the car because it will be work, then get it.

At the end of the day, it will be a custom car for you. Build what you want (can budget and get done.)

When I got my Cobra, I also did not want a trailer queen. I wanted a street driver. Because of that I have little stuff like heated seats, AC and the IRS. Out here in Northern California, the roads are "suboptimal", so the IRS was a must for me. I also have my car set up a bit soft since I drive 3-6k miles a year. Every morning, the first keys I reach for are the Cobra and then I have to talk myself out of it. (Stuff like rain, snow, driving two kids to school. etc) Have fun and keep us posted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brastic, THANKS for your input. Yes I want to build a driver. I too want to be in a position where the first keys I grab are the Coupe’s until I put it away for the winter. I also know the car is basically a race car, loud, a little less “civilized” so some of the creature comforts are more for my wife so she too will want to ride in it as well.

I live in Connecticut and the roads here are also not optimal. Was your choice of the IRS for amore comfortable ride or to make the rear less jittery over bumpy roads?

THANKS Gary

·
Registered
308 Posts
There were a couple of things on my must have list. First being fuel injected. I have done my time with carbs, but like how my EFI starts every day and elevation changes are no issues. And the other was the IRS. I was able to drive a handful of Cobras before I bought mine. On flat surfaces, it really does not matter much. The solid axles are cheaper and can take a lot more power. I was not power hungry with a goal of 300 something HP. That is enough to move the car, get me in trouble, but no die. :) I just find that driving on the streets, IRS is the best way to go. I can say that my next car will most likely be the FFR hot rod and it will have IRS.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brastic, THANKS for the additional insight. I will need to balance the drivability vs authenticity. At the end of the day I want the car to be a driver and I’m not getting any younger.

Gary

·
Registered
3,600 Posts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts