Factory Five Racing Forum banner
121 - 140 of 501 Posts

· Registered
1,573 Posts
I'm dying to see this ! I love this motor--do I hear 6 speed trans???Is the computer set up for 6 speed trans or does that not matter??

The pulley / damper ...........The mustang has electric power steering so if you use air cond and alt & .........................????????????????????????????????????

OK... ..I'll just sit back and listen,this will be interesting for sure
TO move this ,is in no way to help the FF cause.You have a veteran builder / engineer /racer and the new motor from Ford
the information to come will be priceless.

· Registered
189 Posts
I'm dying to see this ! I love this motor--do I hear 6 speed trans???Is the computer set up for 6 speed trans or does that not matter??

The pulley / damper ...........The mustang has electric power steering so if you use air cond and alt & .........................????????????????????????????????????

OK... ..I'll just sit back and listen,this will be interesting for sure
<---- Also waiting to see if PS will be used...

· Junior Charter Member
248 Posts
Back to the car......

Is there plenty of clearance from the hood if motor mounts are made that raise the engine to allow for a larger pan and it's ground clearance? What would be a good visual marker to check before the body is on?

Example: If engine top most part was 1" below dash hoop, that would allow for body and hood w/o engine/hood interference.

· Premium Member
7,305 Posts
Great thread David. I don't want to muck up your Build Thread, so I deleted my two unrelated posts.

On topic, please post plenty of info about what mods are required to make the Coyote fit!

Thanks again!

· FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Dave, I haven't seen you since Santana Row (yeah, it's been that long) but I just caught this thread and read all the pages.

Congrats on the MK IV. Makes me want to sell mine and start over - unfortunately, my private banker says no. :( I was thinking along your lines as far as staying with the Ford computer and harness for this (if I had a chance to put in a different engine). Good call.

I will live vicariously though you for now.

And congrats on the Coyote.... I can only say this for a license plate: ACME

I subscribe to this thread. This is awesome!

· Premium Member
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Motor mounts and headers are on the way and should be here tomorrow. Russ Thompson is coming up this weekend to pick up the shortblock he purchased from me and I think he is going to help me install the Coyote in the chassis so I can start mocking up the chassis mods. If anyone in the area is interested in coming up, let me know.

I put a deposit on a new 2005+ Tremec TR-3650 trans for a great price. This will allow for an OEM quality hydraulic clutch and shifter position is customizable.

I just spoke to these guys: http://coastdriveline.com/Contact.htm They said they can do a new driveshaft for a 2005+ trans to IRS with the slip yoke integrated into the driveshaft and balanced for $325. Ive heard this company is really good so if you are thinking of going with the 05+ trans this is another driveshaft option for you.(cross posted in the Modular forum)

If anyone needs a new driveshaft for an earlier car, I can sell mine. Brand new 31 spline 10.375 driveshaft from FFR. Shoot me a PM if interested.

David

· Premium Member
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Dave,

Did you ever get a power steering pump to try to mock up?
I wont know how much room I have till I get the motor in the car. I need to investigate small AC compressor sizes as well. Stay tuned...

David

· Premium Member
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
So does that mean you are going to in stall A/C in your build?
I would really like to if I can get it to fit. The goal is power brakes, AC, and Powersteering.

I wont know till I get the motor in the chassis and see how much room I have to work with. Also need to find out about small AC compressors. If anyone has links to units that can be used in a hotrod type applications please post here.

David

· Registered
2,639 Posts
Also have you heard any news on when ff will be takeing orders for coyote mk4s Thanks
They just got another Coyote 5.0 to start mock up. It looks like it will be a while since they have to pull the 3V motor out, and then start working on it.

· Premium Member
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 · (Edited)
Saturday morning Russ Thompson came up to picked up the shortblock and transmission from me and give me a hand putting the Coyote in the chassis for mockup.

Jeff Fick and Dan LePage were planning to stop by after the local Cobra breakfast so when I
heard a rumble approaching the neighborhood I figured it was them... the exhaust sounded
different though, like there were more cylinders :D 6-7 Cobras came thundering up the
drive, what a great surprise!

New buddy and great helper Max got the engine to the proper height for us and we started to move it in place.

Jeff and Russ about to guide the motor down into the chassis.

· Premium Member
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 · (Edited)

Issues we need to work though are an oil pan that sits about 2 inches below the frame rails
and the stock 4.6 motor mounts that are going to need some spacers. The motor mounts are a
bit narrow for the FFR frame so its sits to low and the studs hang in the slots before
touching the pads.

The two ways I see tackling this. One is to design an adapter/saddle over the original motor mounts and raise the motor a full 2 inches. The other is to compromise and raise the motor approx 1 inch with alum shims between the motor mounts and the chassis coupled with a roadrace pan (either the champ, or Canton) that's an inch shallower than the stock pan. Still dont know if the 4.6 pans can be adapted, but I assume a compatible pan will be available in the near future. I think the 2nd option will offer the best compromise.

Mocked up drivers side headers. Appears to be plenty of clearance here. Not sure if I'm going to created an adapter flange or cut the existing flange off and use a new Coyote specific flange only. I wont get to that until the chassis mods are done.

Proud papa

Overall a great day and we met some really neat folks. Thanks all that came up to visit and those who assisted with the engine install. It was a great meeting ASTGlenn and his wife as well after a long time chatting on line.

Special thanks to Dan LePage for taking pics... I was so excited to getting the engine in, I kinda spaced.

David

· Charter Member
239 Posts
Dave,

Thanks for letting us raid your house to check out the Mk 4 and see the trial fit of the Coyote motor. Look forward to seeing future progress of your build.

I see the top of my head in one of the pics....

Danny

· iBuild
5,740 Posts
Looks good man, lot more room then I expected. On the pan, if you can get a different pan, I think the 1 inch spacer would be the best bet, split the difference. Though would you use aluminum or steel? The other concern I would have on the two inch spacer would be if you start to introduce an issue with the steering rack hitting the headers.

_Scott

· Junior Charter Member
3,485 Posts
David, you probably know this already, but just in case.... That pan has an eight quart capacity and is deeper than a 4.6 pan. I think I'd do a custom pan or mod the original pan - maybe by putting kickouts on the sides to get the capacity back. It is supposed to be baffled inside, and it has a stock windage tray too, but I would think that you (especially you) would want to keep the motor as low in the chassis as possible. Why raise all of that weight insteadof just modifying the pan? It's a sweet motor - you're going to love it!

121 - 140 of 501 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.