Factory Five Racing Forum banner

David Smith has agreed to chat online with FFCars members!

364 views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Bill 
#1 ·
I’m excited to announce that David Smith, from Factory Five Racing, has asked us to host a 2-hour live chat section with FFCars members! This will be a great opportunity for David to tell us about his mid-engine supercar and for you to ask him questions about his FIA 289 project, California Spider program, etc.

This special event will be held on Thrusday April 11th at 3:00 PM eastern time. Watch the front page of FFCars.com for more details in the next few days. If this works out, he may do this again. So let’s be nice and keep the chat section positive.

Other things he discussed:

The aluminum body has been test fitted to a normal chassis and it fits pretty good so far; only a few places would need some minor mods. Like the front cockpit hoop needs to be moved back an inch. This can be done to old chassis’, so this shouldn't stop FFR. They just used a hammer, but they will figure out a proper way to make it work before selling it to the public. The doors have not been mounted, so he's not sure if they will fit without work. Surprising to me, the rear end fit over the trunk without any trouble even though the rear is obviously different than a stock FFR car. The hood was within 1" of FFR's, so it should mount fine. Basically, the body will mount the same as a fiberglass/composite body. Will it retrofit to past cars? He can’t tell yet, but they are working on that answer as we speak. It looks promising. I want one just polished with brillo pads and pro liquid buffer!

He said that this body isn’t for everyone; it may not even be “better” than the stock body because it requires more work to finish. The aluminum body weights less than the stock fiberglass composite. It is about the same weight as the carbon fiber body. But he said that aluminum bodies would require more bodywork. As an example, a stock body my take someone 40 hours to prep, while an aluminum body will require closer to 200 hours. The body is 0625 thick.

David said that the body would be for buyers who are looking for something a little different. He explained that the replica industry has a group of old school guys who swear by ERA, Shelby, jag IRS, FE engines, etc. and a new school buyer like the typical FFR guy/gal. This body should appeal to the old school group. He thinks that buyers of the aluminum bodies will be doing builds with FE engines, top loaders, pin drive IRS, Wimbledon white stripes, etc. He feels this is a good step in the evolution of Factory Five Racing and I have to agree.

The cost? Well, a buyer of an aluminum body would expect to pay $15,000 today. That cost keeps most replica builders away from going aluminum. He plans to offer the body for about half the normal retail cost today, around $7,500. At that price, he expects to sell 75-100 aluminum-bodied kits a year. That’s about 10% or more of the current production schedule. The maker of the bodies was not signed a contract with FFR yet, but when they do he will let us tell you who builds them. But I don’t think it will be a surprise to anyone.

I have some good news about the mid-engine car. He will send us some pictures soon. Hopefully before the live chat.

You Texas guys need to watch the Southcentral forum for some exciting SPEC Racer news! As soon as I work out the details, I’ll post it on the SC forum.

Factory Five is really kicking butt and I’m so excited to be an FFR Roadster owner! The future looks bright!

Thanks,

Bill

See less See more
#5 ·
Originally posted by Rob:
Is it a chat session where everyone can see the questions and answers or one at a time!????
Everyone will be able to see David's posts and you can ask a question and he'll answer it. It might be a little crazy, but I think we can handle it. How many people will be joining us for the discussion?

#9 ·
I'll be there!

I recently saw an interview with Lee Iacocca (former chairman of Chrysler) and he commented that when he took over Chrysler, as a perk he was given 4 new cars of his choice, after thinking about it he realized Chrysler didn't make 4 cars he wanted! I don't think Dave will ever have that problem!

[ April 03, 2002, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: Brentt ]

#10 ·
Hey, I won't have internet access that day, for that matter I won't have access for a whole week! The Q&A session between David and FF members will be in the form of posts? So I can read them when I get back in town?
Please? Please? Pretty please? Hate that I have to miss it. Wonder if the resort I'm staying in will let me "borrow" their computer? :cool:

Chad

#15 ·
Settle down Grasswacker :D You know you're not going to sell the BEAST--too many good (and bad ;) ) memories. BUT...I think I can help you out. When I come to visit I'll drive the beast home with me so you'll have room to build the mid engined wonder. I know, I know--I'm a heck of a guy. All in the name of friendship, Dino, all in the name of friendship :D

Hehehe!

Bill, I'll be here for the discussion. Here are a few of my questions:

</font>
  • What is the wheelbase and track width? </font>
  • What drivetrain will the car be set up to use? </font>
  • What is the estimated weight with all fluids? </font>
  • How much hp do you expect the donor transaxle will be capable of transferring reliably? </font>
  • What size tires will the chassis and bodywork allow? </font>
  • Assuming independent front and rear suspension, what donor vehicle is the suspension based on, or if it's custom, what are the design specifications as far as camber gain, roll steer, castor, and bump steer? Also, how much adjustability does the suspension allow? </font>
  • Will the car be setup for swaybars? If so, OEM style or adjustable? If adjustable, can different diameter bars be swapped easily, or is this something the customer will need to incorporate if they have the need? </font>
  • What size brakes are on the car? What calipers does it use and is there a good selection of aftermarket pads available? </font>
  • Will it be setup for manual or power brakes? </font>
  • Does the body incorporate high speed aerodynamic aids and if so, how were they designed and have they been tested yet? </font>
  • If the car is destined to be licensed on the steet, will the process be the same as for the current roadsters? </font>
  • What type of steering rack will the car use and does it allow for easy bump steer adjustment?
    </font>
Well, that should be good to get the ball rolling. I'll be sure to post back here with any other questions that come to mind. I'm really looking forward to this...
Thanks to both Bill and David for setting this up!

Mike

#16 ·
Bill,
I’m not sure I’ll be able to catch the chat live, but I am very interested in finding out more about the 250gt California Spider. I’m hoping I could get the following questions answered:

When is the release date?
Will it be at the Carlisle show?
Will it have an IRS option?
Will it have a carbon fiber body option?
Will it have an optional “soft top”?
Is it based on the mustang 5.0 (motor / trans, etc.)?

I have a whole lot more to ask about this project, but these are my most important questions.
I hope I’ll be able to catch the live chat.
Good luck with it!

Frank

#17 ·
I'll be at work, but my questions are;
1) F5 emblems for cars to match the beautiful new seats! How much do I make the check out for?
2) 800# to F5?
3) Direct E-Mail address to shipping to check on backorders?
4) Updated backorder list or still on backorder list sent with parts shipments?(most ups labels now say what should be in package)
5) Updated build manual to include MKII improvements?
6) Build video for sale?
7) Build manuals for sale on the new cars?

Keep up the great work!
Steve Hronek
FFR3313

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.