1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
I enjoyed it when I watched it earlier.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks for posting this, Duncan. Awesome insight.

·
Not a waxer
11,769 Posts
Dave and I were talking last week and I mentioned that there are so many owners and builders who have no idea of what all went down. I was around when it started and saw it all play out in real time. Yes, it is fascinating, and unfortunately pretty ugly---Shelby was trying to crush FFR or squeeze money out of them like he did with Superformance. Dave & Mark were having none of it. Sure glad they dug their heels in!

Jeff

·
Registered
396 Posts
Loved his comment at the end about a GT40 replica!!

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,219 Posts
Definitely a good view for those who do not know the history, or are aware of Ol' Shel's bad tendencies.

I also know even further issues with the Shelby Clubs caused by the Ol' Grouch. He was not the wonderful guy everybody thinks he is.

·
Not a waxer
11,769 Posts
Dan,
Didn’t you have a “Honk if you’re being sued by Carroll” bumper sticker on your car when a this stuff (saying stuff since this is a family friendly forum ;) ) was going on?

If the old man thought there was a buck to be made he was going to go after it. He didn’t give a $h!t about the name or shape of the body he just wanted FFR and other manufacturers to pay him $X every time they sold one.

Jeff

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,219 Posts
I did have that, just took it off, as a possible magazine article did not want that sticker in the pics. But my opinion on the Old Man sticks.

He went after SAAC for the registries, and that's how Team Shelby Started, CS's answer to SAAC. Ugly, ugly times. Happily, it has all worked out, TS has the new cars, SAAC has the classics, SAAC kept the registries, everybody is happy. If I remember correctly, SAAC also consulted Dave Smith's lawyers to stop the Ol' Man.

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
One of the popular stories is that CS wanted a "donation" made to his childrens charity for every kit sold, but no one ever contributed, so he went after the company that had the most resources, to get the funds.

And the Shelby Foundation? It was on the list of the worst charities ever, only paying out less than 1% of all of the donations.

·
Charter Member
717 Posts
Dave,
Great history. Thanks. Didn't Ford/Shelby also sue shops that were assembling and reselling your cars? I seem to remember there was one in LA, maybe others. How did those cases come out? Was FFR party to those suits or were they separate?

·
Administrator
6,990 Posts
wickershaw, LK Motorsports was closed as a direct result of Shelby's lawyer antics. This forum changed it's name from FFCobra to FFCars.

:)

·
Not a waxer
11,769 Posts
wickershaw, LK Motorsports was closed as a direct result of Shelby's lawyer antics. This forum changed it's name from FFCobra to FFCars.

:)
Yep, it drove Langley right out of business and cost Bill Peirce (founder of this forum) a good bit of money to defend and keep this forum alive. Myself and many others contributed to the defense fund to help with some of the legal expenses. At the time this was the only forum; the Factory Five Forum had not yet been launched.

Jeff

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thanks for posting. I love hearing the words directly from Dave. I was in High School when FFR was first sued. At first, I thought the FFR was not only guilty, but would out of business fast. Then I started to read up. I learned a lot about law and our system by tracking this trial.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts