Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Those look a bit strong and will likely leave an impression. I used weaker plastic clamps with leather (smooth face to the dash) underneath to spread out the force when holding it on temporarily. If that isn't strong enough, get/make a cardboard box of the right size to go between the bottom of the dash and the tunnel to provide some vertical support so the clamps only have to hold it to the frame vs. hold it up. It helps, too, if you are using an under dash support of some kind.

I will say that you should fully support the dash when it's off the car laying down. I had mine laying on it's face for a while on the transmission tunnel, and in the west Texas heat, it developed a few small cracks on the rolled bottom lip as the ends of the dash flexed down.

--Nathan

·
Registered
713 Posts
Just as a note, I used similar clamps to your original picture, and those that Silver Pilate used, and even with something to spread the pressure a bit, I ended up crushing the foam backer into the adhesive, which never recovered. I ended up with two indents in the dash covering, and had to completely redo the foam and vinyl on the dash. Not my favorite memory of the build so far. My recommendation is to determine how you're going to permanently mount the dash, and even if you only partially attach it, you'll be better off than clamping it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Those clamps will definitely leave some nasty marks. I have the same dash and used clamps 1/4 the size & same type even using cardboard and it still left marks. I had to massage the marks while using a heat gun too smooth back out. Not an easy task. After that I used a clamp on the steering shaft to hold it in place and another on the far right end of the dash where no one will ever see.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Go buy some peel and stick Velcro. If you need to, use a few zap straps joined together at the ends to hold it up to the frame

·
Charter Member
1,155 Posts
X2 on the Velcro. DO NOT USE CLAMPS!!! I'm with Edward, lightest clamps I could find and lots cardboard still left minor dents that I was eventually able to work out with heat gun.
Rob

·
Cross Menber
73 Posts
I use velcro that has fuzz on the front, and knobs on the back. You can buy it in a good size roll from amazon
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B071Y3TVNT/

Pick your width, they have all sizes. Cut the length you need and you can reuse several times.

I use it for keeping wiring, parts, and pieces together while I am working on them. I would think
it would work good for the dash. Working in the IT field, it works great for keeping cables looking good.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome! I took the clamps off and bought some velcro. Probably a good idea for the over all build to add to the 5 fasteners suggested in the manual

·
Registered
67 Posts
A little late, but paint stir sticks are great a way to spread out the clamping force. The spring clamps by themselves will definitely leave an impression.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts