Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I'm getting so close to having my car on the road. Some days it seems like I'll never get there but I just keep plugging along. The dash is the first part of the car that actually looks finished. I'd love to share it with you guys. The three open holes on the right of the dash are for the heater/defrost controls.

I think one of the vendors said that two of the molex connectors would take care of the wiring for a basic dash. That's 24 wires if you are trying to wire up the dash so you can disconnect. So far I've got 49 wires going thru connectors. I don't have the heater hooked up yet so there will be a few more.

I also haven't run the lines for the volt meter, gas gauge and tach. I think that is another 6 to 9 wires.

This is so tedious, crimping and soldering. It was great seeing all of the cars this weekend at the open house. There is hope for me yet!

Mike M.

·
2,746 Posts
Mike,

It looks great man! I'm almost exactly where you are with my own build, I was wiring gauges this Saturday.

Feels like you're getting there, doesn't it?

Keep the momentum going!

Chris.

·
1,672 Posts
Looks great - good job - it is time consuming but will be worth it in the long run.

Charlie

·
Charter Member
452 Posts
Nice looking dash. I have just started laying mine out. I understand the frustration. I am just getting back into the build after a break to get some hoseehold things done. I hope I can get mu wiring as neat as yours. You guys set the bar so high. Fortunately you can not see behind the dash when the body is on.

Ken

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
Good looking work Mike.
I just got done with my wiring and yes it is tedious!,but it sure does feel good when it's done.
HTH
Paul M.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brian, Nothing special to make the gauges look inset. I bought 1/8" padding from an auto upholstry shop and also the black leather look vinyl. Same thikness I think of the material that came with the kit but the finish looks more like leather. The pad was enough to let the gauges sink in a bit when they are attached.

Mike M.

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
Very nice looking dash, and very clean wiring. Congrats on the good work. Pete

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
Great looking dash, also good job on the clean wiring. Congrats on your good work. Pete

·
Senior Charter Member
509 Posts
Mike,

I really like the padded look of your finished dash...it has a nice period correct feel to it. Nice work!

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
mike,
love the look...are those 5"?....or better what gauges are those?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the encouragement guys! Sometimes it does feel like this is taking forever! I need a little kick in the butt once and awhile.

Those gauges are the Autometer Classic I ordered from FFR. Not 5" just the basic 4" but it is the SC dash configuration. I ordered a dash with the SC cutouts from one of the vendors here, just can't remember which on right now. If it is a draw back to some, the gauges are mechanical. I found out with the mechanical lines coming in for the oil press, oil temp, water temp, speedo, it made it difficult to configure a heater behind the dash. I'm still working on that.

Thanks again.

Mike M.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts