Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is where I plan on placing my switches. I thought I would put an extra one for future items and to make everything look semetrical.

Attachments

·
Junior Charter Member
642 Posts
Sit in the seat and make sure you can reach all the switches with your back against the seat.
Once you’re strapped in your reach will be reduced.
Also turn the steering wheel back and fourth to make sure you won’t hit any switches with your hands while driving. Maybe even wear gloves when doing it.

Feel free to make engine and tire squeaking sounds while steering ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Toadster

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sit in the seat and make sure you can reach all the switches with your back against the seat.
Once you’re strapped in your reach will be reduced.
Also turn the steering wheel back and fourth to make sure you won’t hit any switches with your hands while driving. Maybe even wear gloves when doing it.

Feel free to make engine and tire squeaking sounds while steering ;)

Awesome! I will take your advise including making all the noise! Lol

·
Registered
228 Posts
I didn’t like that the plastic on the wiper switch is different from the rest of the switches. I mounted it under the dash out of sight, not often in use anyway

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn’t like that the plastic on the wiper switch is different from the rest of the switches. I mounted it under the dash out of sight, not often in use anyway
Yes I'm going to have plastic so I guess a little more no biggie gives me more to upgrade later on down the line.

Do you know is the wiper park switch basically the same size as the toggle switches they give us. So if I put a supplied toggle switch in place of the wiper switch as a place holder it will be easily swapped?

·
Registered
228 Posts
The wiper switch looks just like the others, except the plastic is more grey than black, so it doesn’t match

·
Junior Charter Member
2,915 Posts
Your dash mounting screws are going to be visible in those locations. You may or may not want that. The worst thing is if you get them partially visible. My third one from the left shows just a little bit and I hate it, even though no one has ever noticed.

Maybe something has changed, but my wiper switch IS a little bit different looking. The round center part is a little bulkier, and the plastic is a little less shiny black. I think the hole is a little bigger IIRC.

Just my opinion, but you asked., Do you really want switches spread out that much? Behind the wheel, and all the way over to the glove box? I see what you are doing with the even spacing on gauge centers. But it leaves things looking a little orphaned and scattered to my eye. Small items like switches tend to be clustered together in most cars. A cluster of small things has more visual weight to balance against the larger things like gauges.

I have quite a few things on an under dash panel, so that they are out of site, but reachable. Just an idea. Some people like a busy dash, I like a simpler one. Its all what you like. Originals were wildly different with where switches go, so anything goes.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Personally would not install wipers unless they are required by DMV regs. (not required in NC) First rain you will discover the inside of the window gets just as wet as the outside. RainX on both sides of the glass is your friend.

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Avalanche

I will consider all this. I figure I was going to have switches on the dash so I thought I would make them evenly spaced and symmetrical. But I will consider what you said.

The switches behind the dash are just the little selector for the GPS supper small button and the dimmer small knob. I guess one normal switch would go slightly behind but it evens everything out kinda creates and hour glass.

IDK. That's why I put that up. I thought about putting them all under the dash too. At least the high/low, hazards and wippers. Maybe I will. The turn switch seems right at my finger tip so I like that.

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Personally would not install wipers unless they are required by DMV regs. (not required in NC) First rain you will discover the inside of the window gets just as wet as the outside. RainX on both sides of the glass is your friend.
I believe Illinois does. I'm sure they do. I have went back and forth on this and decided I like the wiper look. IDK maybe will just use the manual ones for the inspection.

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Avalanche

Yes the dash mount screws will be visible. That's what the instructions say. I see threads how to eliminate them. I guess I personally do not mind the screws showing. Gives it character. I have seen some old photos with those screws showing.

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Avalanche

Yes murd said the same thing about the wiper switch.

I do not have the switch and wanted to make a place for it. I just did not want to create too big of a whole. Sounds like I wont.

·
Not a waxer
11,815 Posts
Just my opinion Jason but in practical use I don't think some of your placements are very ergonomically friendly. I always put the turn signal switch just to the left of the wheel---same as in your daily driver. Having it to the right won't feel natural, or at least wouldn't to me. Same with the high/low beam toggle. I can't make out what the switches are directly below the speedometer and tach is but neither those nor the wiper switch will be easy to reach being behind the steering wheel. Again, just my opinion but I've gotten a few cars into the shop in which the owners have located switches in some unnatural or obstructed locations and find myself wondering "What was he thinking...how does he drive this thing?"

RE: Wipers; I've done 2 or 3 Illinois cars that were inspected and registered without wipers. Maybe it depends on the inspection station???

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do apologize about the wipers because I know I had the discussion before. I guess I got back in my head I wanted them. I will scratch them.

I will mock up another pic and see what people think.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,915 Posts
It is the internet, so it is mandatory that you get both answers.

I think a car that is driven on the street should have wipers. Go to the dealers and see how many cars you can buy without them......zero. Even most race cars have wipers. I live in Florida and have been caught in the rain more times than I can count. No amount of Rain-ex makes up for wipers, I've tried it and ended up turning the wipers on. The only thing I get on the inside of my windscreen is when it fogs up. I do have wind wings and visors. Maybe that is the difference. I keep a black hand towel behind my passenger seat for a "defroster". It can happen in an instant going over a bridge.

·
Junior Charter Member
642 Posts
Wipers are handy for when you don’t get the car totally dry after washing and water from around the hood splatters on your windshield.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I find that I do use the wipers. Mainly when driving off of the freeway and at slower speeds. I can say that I laugh each time I have to turn them on. For a car originally designed for British weather, the wipers work like you have a six year old manually moving them back and forth.

I also like having the turn signal and the high beam indicators right in front of me. Like between the speedometer and the tachometer.

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Trying to take everyone's suggestions I came up with one I like which is number one. I value everyone's experience.

A. Turn on the left right where my finger lands at the 9 o'clock

B. The GPS selector under the speedometer

C. The dimmer knob under the tachometer.

E. High/low above the horn about where my right index lands

F. Hazards next to the lights switch.

No wipers. If I need them underneath the dash.

2. Even more based on sugestions bit I dont like as much

A. Turn on the left right where my finger lands at the 9 o'clock.

B. The GPS selector and dimmer under the turn switch.

All at finger tips.

C. High low beam and hazards to the just to the right of the wheel above the horn and my right finger tips.

No wiper.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 54 Posts