Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the diameter (OD) of the paired dash support tubes in the original cars? Know that they were wrapped in the dash material in the originals which added some thickness but wanted to start with the right size or close to it (planning on using one to run the speedo cable).
Thx in advance for any info on this particular spec.
best
Ron

·
Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
Note that if you're going to use the either of the tubes for a mechanical use, such as a chase for wiring or the speedo cable, you may need to go larger. Check the fitting on the end of your speedo before committing if you think you'll run it through the tube.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Dash tubes made easy

Hi guys,

Thought I would relate my solution;

1. Speedhut speedo requires only two thin wires, no cable.

2. Dash tubes now avail welded direct from FFR, powdercoat, complete.

3. Perfect fit.

Left mine black powdercoated, done completely in 45 minutes. :001_smile:

·
Junior Charter Member
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chris, what size is that speedo fitting? I'm along way from buying one, but I'm getting ready to fit the tubes in the very near future.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Chris:
Thanks for the thought. It was my plan but wanted to see where it all begin, so to speak, in terms of the original.

Joey:
I think I can answer that for you. The nut is fluted and measures a few thousands less than 3/4". I found some very thin wall chromoly on Online Metals with 3/4 ID and 0.875" OD. If the ID is a bit tight, I can take just a small bit off the circumference of the nut.

Let me know if you want a part number for the tubing.
Hope your build is going well. I just started my build thread (at long last!!) on the main roadster forum. Hope you enjoy it.

Best
Ron

·
Registered
630 Posts
Ron,

I've checked it out already!! Keep the updates coming. My build is starting to pick up some steam. I'll be posting an update pretty soon on my favorite mod this far: the installation of a parking brake handle from Acton Custom!

Gun Rifle Firearm Gun barrel

·
Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
What Ron said on the speedo cable end nut. Sounds like he used something very similar to what I found in a friend's scrap pile... a length of chrome-moly tubing that was nominally 3/4" i.d. and it worked perfectly, but was a tight fit getting the nut through it.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
2. Dash tubes now avail welded direct from FFR, powdercoat, complete.
When did they start this? (first I heard of it)
Does anyone have a picture? Curious how they are mounted and how the removable tranny cover can be incorporated.

·
Registered
630 Posts
They started it with the 289s. You can kinda see how they mount in this picture. My dash has been moved and the angle changed so the won't work for me. Vehicle door Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Rim

The FFR setup is in thier parts catalog for $80.

·
Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
Using the FFR-supplied carpet, I cut it about 3" - 4" back from the front, scalloped it for the tubes, then had it edge-bound. Doing something like this with the new tubes that FFR sells would hide that brace that runs crosswise.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thx Chris

Will do your carpet trick

·
Registered
337 Posts
Was planning for the supports for dash rigidity and the idea for the carpet finishing and the routing of the speedo wires is good go know in advance.

Thx

·
Junior Charter Member
69 Posts
They started it with the 289s. You can kinda see how they mount in this picture. My dash has been moved and the angle changed so the won't work for me. View attachment 182354

The FFR setup is in thier parts catalog for $80.

What angle did you set your dash? It seems to me that it 'should be' more upright for a more original look, but I can't remember what I thought I had measured on an original car.
thanks,
Max

·
Registered
289 Posts
What angle did you set your dash? It seems to me that it 'should be' more upright for a more original look, but I can't remember what I thought I had measured on an original car.
thanks,
Max
It will only take a few degrees to make it look a lot closer to original. I just notched out the bottom side of the weld of the dash support tube and twisted it down a few degrees and welded it back. Looks 100 times better.

·
Junior Charter Member
69 Posts
It will only take a few degrees to make it look a lot closer to original. I just notched out the bottom side of the weld of the dash support tube and twisted it down a few degrees and welded it back. Looks 100 times better.
Cool. Thanks! I was thinking along those same lines. Good to hear it's been done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts