Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and searched to find an answer to this question. I like the street layout from the FAQ section: http://www.ffcars.com/FAQ/csx31090r.jpg

So, I obtained the blank CAD template from NiceGuyEddie. However, once I started to draw on it, I noticed the two main gauges around the steering column are NOT centered. The distance from the speedo to steering wheel center compared to tach to steering wheel center is off by over 1 inch.

Is this correct??

·
Super Moderator
29,425 Posts
Take a look at the ERA website. Their cars are as close to an original as you can get w/o breaking the bank

·
FFCobra Craftsman
6,103 Posts
I want to temper your eye and desire. Many things are not square or symeterical on these cars - just like the orginals. The seats do not face perfectly foward, the hood scoop is not centered, etc.

More important than the exact layout is doing a mock up and making sure you can clearly see all the guages from your seating position. These are not like modern cars with highly adjustable seats, adjustable steering columns, etc. You may like the original street or comp layouts, but they may or may not be practical for you. Maybe you can use it and just tweak the position of a guage a little and make it work.

Please put function or form when laying out your dash.

·
2010 FFCars Graduate
3,032 Posts
The measurements on the one in the FAQ you linked to back up what you're saying. Note the position, and orientation of the steering wheel, to the gauges. It's laid out to provide the best view of the gauges. What looks good doesn't always work well.
I get asked why my steering wheel isn't in straight all the time.
The guy that did my alignment couldn't believe I wanted it that way.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,679 Posts
Also the steering shaft hole is in a different location between the MK II and MK III and will make the spacing around the gauges different. Just be sure you're using the right dash for the car. Don't ask!!

·
Kriss Motors
1,167 Posts
Here is unrestored original 427 dash:

If you look carefully, you'll see that there are many gauge/button/key/light alignments that are not "straight" or "equal".

And here is a 1964 unrestored 289 showing much the same thing:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure if the CAD template NiceGuyEddie had was Mk II or III. I have the carbon fiber dash as well.

I was just concerned that the gauges not centered was a mistake on the template, but perhaps you guys are right and its for clarity, not uniformity.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts