Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the top curve of the dash does not line up with the curved frame behind it.
should the middle of the dash be flush with the 3/4" tube, leaving the sides of the dash below the frame, or should the sides be flush, leaving the dash above the frame in the middle?
also any recs on where and how much to bend the sides of the dash forward towards the engine bay?

any recs on additional holes to drill in addition to the factory laser cut holes?
i have a heater, but not running any seat warmers, wipers, push button ignition, or a/c.
i figure i'll need indicators for R/L blinker, high beams, but wanted to hear recs on additional switches/holes that would be helpful (manual fan switch, etc)

thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
The top of the dash does not line up with the support bar, as you know. But, it pretty well matches the underside of the body. You can't really install the dash until the body is on.

Extra holes all depend on what you want over "stock". Extra gauges, switches, etc, are your choice. I never found much use for a manual fan switch. But I found a power port to be really handy.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The top of the dash does not line up with the support bar, as you know. But, it pretty well matches the underside of the body. You can't really install the dash until the body is on.

Extra holes all depend on what you want over "stock". Extra gauges, switches, etc, are your choice. I never found much use for a manual fan switch. But I found a power port to be really handy.
thanks bob
i'm trying to mount brackets on the back of the dash so I can attach it without visible screws through the dash. I'd need to mount these brackets before covering the face of the dash so the screw/rivet holes can be covered by the leather/vinyl. maybe i'll put the body on and see how the dash lines up with the under side of it.
regarding extra holes, I was planning on putting USB charging ports on the underside of the dash, leaving the face looking clean. I'm just trying to figure out if others found certain switches to be needed/necessary.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm using the dash support. It places it correctly. Theress frame showing on the top center of the dashboard. So, center of dash is slightly below the top of the frame. Maybe 1/4" below.

Duncan

·
Cobra Colorist
5,632 Posts
You need to place the dash so that you can see 3/16 in of hoop at the R&L corners. If you place it even with the corners the body will sit on top of the dash at the radius and really messes with making the doors fit...da Bat

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone have problems with the hoop frame interfering with the speedo/ tach hole just left of the steering column? In order to get the bezel ring on the back, I'd need to drop the dash a bit. Currently the dash is sitting at the recommended 3/16" above the frame at the corners

Attachments

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need to place the dash so that you can see 3/16 in of hoop at the R&L corners. If you place it even with the corners the body will sit on top of the dash at the radius and really messes with making the doors fit...da Bat
Just to be clear, you said the frame should show 3/16" BEHIND the dash at the corners, correct? Manual shows the dash sitting 3/16"ABOVE frame at the corners

·
Registered
571 Posts
I mounted my dash with the center even with the dash hoop and the ends 3/16" below the hoop and my speedo just barely contacts the underside of the hoop.
JR

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mocking up dash. I have dash positioned so 3/16" frame showing behind dash at the corners. This leaves about 3/16"to 1/4" showing at the center. Anyone have recommendations on placement of the gauges? I saw some recommend switching speedo and tach so speedo is to the left for better visibility. Wasn't sure if there are any similar recs for the smaller gauges. I have the FF GPS speedo. Appears there are indicator lights on the speedo. So I probably don't need to install extra indicators in the dash, right?

Attachments

·
Registered
571 Posts
Correct, there are indicator lights in the speedo.
JR

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,711 Posts
The only recommendation I use for the small gauges is figure which are the most important. For me that is water temp and oil pressure. Then sit in the car and look forward as if driving and then take a quick glance over at the small gauges. Figure which of them are the easiest to see in that quick glance away from the road. Usually that will be the top line closest to the wheel working away from the wheel and then the lower line. In a way this idea is what guides the usual 'competition' layout. Tach where yours is, OP and H2o temp where your speedo is. The speedo and all the other gauges are way less important. If you want to be really nuts like me, install your tach rotated so your shift point has the needle straight up. No looking at a needle and matching it to numbers around the dial-just look at the needle angle.

·
Not a waxer
11,767 Posts
With the speedo to the left of the wheel like you show in your photo you'll find that the actual usable portion of it as well as the indicator lights will be difficult to see so I recommend that you swap it to where you have the tach. With the tach on the left the important part (i.e. 3-6,000) is reasonably visible through the wheel. For the smaller gauges usually put the 3 engine related ones across the top with the clock fuel level below.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
With the speedo to the left of the wheel like you show in your photo you'll find that the actual usable portion of it as well as the indicator lights will be difficult to see so I recommend that you swap it to where you have the tach. With the tach on the left the important part (i.e. 3-6,000) is reasonably visible through the wheel. For the smaller gauges usually put the 3 engine related ones across the top with the clock fuel level below.

Jeff
Will have to try that when I change my gauges. Right now I don't use the speedo much & have learned to equate the RPM/Gear in use to speed.

Agree on the function gauges. My top row is Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature, Coolant Temperature. Lower two are Fuel then Volts.

·
Not a waxer
11,767 Posts
Will have to try that when I change my gauges. Right now I don't use the speedo much & have learned to equate the RPM/Gear in use to speed.
I'm kind of the opposite and don't really look at the tach much. If I'm twisting it's tail I just keep my foot in it until the rev limiter hits at 6250 then shift!

Jeff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts