Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please settle a delemma: On the MK4 the book says to put the FFR guages in before you put the dash pad on. Before I tear up a dash pad can someone please tell me the logic behind this. I would think to make the dash pad look good one would put the pad on then cut out the guages. Please weigh in. Thanks for all the great Experience out there!

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
You want to cut all of the holes out on your aluminum dash before attaching the dash pad. Then use a razor blade or xacto knife to cut the holes in the pad for the gauges, switches and lights.

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
I think they're still talking about the donor gauges.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Now that you mention it, I think your right Lex.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,272 Posts
They tell you to put your gauges in first to verify that the holes are the proper size for the gauges that you are using. That way you do not have a hole that is too large for your gauges and they fall through when you go to put them in after you put the pad on.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Dash Gauges

They are for a trial fit. Has anyone told you about mk3build.com? I think they support the manual and have quite a few tips and tricks for the MK4 build.

·
Registered
898 Posts
IIRC if you have the dash with the holes precut, they will be too small for the Speedhut Gauges. You will see where there are laser cuts for the larger gauges. You will need to remove the cut material to allow the gauges to slide in, BUT, you have to leave a little of the material between the portions you remove or the gauge will fall through. Also, when you cut the vinyl, don't cut is flush with the hole, leave a little inside so the gauge holds it and keeps it from creeping out. There is not much of a flange around the gauges.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I had to enlarge the speedo and tach hole to the laser cut marks. The rest fit as is. I had the Speedhut set bought direct from Speedhut so they should be the same as the kit set.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts