Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I noticed that my dash is coming unglued (as I am sure to do here shortly). The foam backed vinyl didn't stick and now I have some pillow like areas.

Can anyone tell me where I can look at Carbon Fiber dash or is the FFR Stock Dash the cheapest option?

Thanks again,
Ivan

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
I think that the FFR Aluminum dash is probably the better and cheaper option.

This is in consideration of what that Carbon Fiber dash is going to potentially do to you in a crash...
If you really want the Carbon Fiber look, there are a number of photographic quality overlays I've seen that would work very well - or - you could purchase flat sheets of Carbon Fiber and laminate them to the aluminum dash yourself.. With the aluminum backing it would lend a lot of strength (impact resistance) that Carbon Fiber does not have..

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, I hadn't thought of it that way.

Where can I get the overlayment or sheets of CF?

I love the solutions that you guys have, always interesting and unique.

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
Randy, good point. I had planned the CF dash and didn't think about the effects on it during a crash. Have you heard any stories of injury due to a CF dash?

Ivan, someone posted this link a couple of days ago. It has CF sheets that you can supposedly wrap around 90 degree turns. That would probably work for what you want to do. And, you can have them add the adhesive backing to it so you know it will stick well.

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/marketplace_carbonfiber.html

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
If you like the look of CF,then laminate it to the aluminum and use a lower panel of aluminum from the bottom of the CF dash to the frame and you have a very rigid dashboard.

That's what I did and the only downside is it scratches easily so you need to be careful,especially when trial fitting the body.

Paul M.

·
8,356 Posts
Gee, do you really think a CF dash would look good? I'm not into period perfect, but this just sounds wrong. Don't mean to offend ya'll with CF dashes. My $0.02.

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
I figure that I'm changing so much that if I accidentally get something period correct, it's going to look out of place.

With that in mind, I'm plan on going with the CF dash and Herb's CF Door Panels. I'll probably throw in a few more CF touches here and there. I think it makes for a good accent color.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,837 Posts
It depends on the look you're going for. If you're not going for period correct, I certainly wasn't, it looks great. I was going for a more modern-day Cobra look. I love CF, I have real CF doors, dash, shift knob, spats, and licence plate frame. If my budget allows in the future, I'd like CF valve covers and air cleaner.

http://home.comcast.net/~********/photos/100_1467.jpg

If you're properly strapped in your 5-point harness, your head isn't going to come close to the dash.

·
566 Posts
Finish Line has a killer dash, Thicker too maybe have a look? Gauge layout is center right not center left. THe also offer period correct dash vinyl with no foam on the back.

HB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts